Is it possible to set up a network both wired AND wireless?

Jon_Are

Senior HTF Member
Currently I have two desktops connected via wire to a router.

If I were to purchase a laptop, is it possible / difficult to maintain my two hard-wired setups while connecting the laptop wirelessly to the same network?

I'm not really interested in making the entire network wireless, just the laptop.

Thanks,

Jon

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Jon,

Absolutely. I have been doing that for years.

All wireless routers have the ability to hardwire. In my setup
I have my two desktops hardwired to my wireless router (which
has 4 ethernet inputs) and at the same time it is transmitting
a wireless signal throughout my home.

Go for it! You'll really enjoy the flexibility of a wireless laptop.

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Ron is right. You won't buy a wireless router to work with your wired router-- the wireless router will replace the wired one. A wireless router also has ports in it to hardwire your desktops. In fact, you NEED to hardwire one computer to the wireless router (atleast temporarily) to set up the router and security. My wireless router has my Xbox and Xbox 360 hardwired and 2 desktops and a notebook wireless.

Stephen Orr

Screenwriter
Same here. At home, I have two desktops connected via wired cable, and a third desktop and laptop that are connected wirelessly through my wireless router. Make sure that you secure your network!

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
Not only what those guys said, but you can also turn off the wireless functionality remotely from one of your wired computers (ususally via a web interface). Because I'm paranoid I only turn on the wireless when I need it; in my case for the XBox or PSP.

Kimmo Jaskari

Screenwriter
If you already have the wired router and it has a free network port, you can just buy a separate wireless access point. That way you will have your wireless gear separated entirely from your network connectivity.

This can be good if you want to, say, upgrade your wireless gear later on but are happy with the internet connection already, or vice versa. Also, you'll be less ticked off when either part breaks down - at least something will be working.

Jon_Are

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the responses, all.

Now I just have to convince myself (and one other person) that I need a laptop.

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
You will need to turn off the DHCP server on the wireless router if the wire router is the primary unit. You can't have 2 DHCP servers on the same subnet. This isn't hard to do, just an FYI...

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gullfo