What's new

Is it possible to send audio files to Rotel 1055 receiver via a wireless network? (1 Viewer)

jack x

Stunt Coordinator
Hi

I have a rotel 1055 receiver and I’d like to be able to send audio files to the rotel via the wireless network. I’d also like to be able to send video (music videos, .avi files) through the wireless network to the Rotel / TV.

I don’t have a wireless network (802.11g) yet, but I am getting a ReplayTV unit soon and I am planning to set-up a wireless network so that the ReplayTV can access the internet via my cable-modem for the TV schedule updates.

First, does anyone know if audio and or video can be streamed to the Rotel 1055 by hook a wireless access point to the Rotel Ethernet connection? Unfortunately, I would assume that the computer I/O port is not an assignable source, thus any incoming audio/video files would not be recognized.

Thus, I have two thoughts:
(1) Perhaps I could investigate using a DAR. I just read about these wireless digital audio receivers (DARs). A DAR seems to essentially be a wireless access point with digital and RCA audio outputs that could be hooked to the Rotel digital and analog inputs. Does anyone have any experience with these??

I have no experience with wireless networks and I wonder if a hardwired network would be better for sending audio and possible video files to avoid audio dropouts during wireless data transmission.

(2) I could get a new sound card for my HP computer, one that has digital audio outputs and I could run a 50 foot coaxial digital cable to the 1055. I guess I would also have to run analog inputs for zone 2 operation.

Any thoughts/feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Sorry if this post is not in the best forum. I was think of putting it in the connections area or in the receivers/amps area, but because of the wireless aspect, i thought this might be the place.

-Jack

jack x

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Gordon,

Thanks for your reply. I initially wanted to post a message to Club Rotrel at htguide.com but i am not registered there, just a lurker. Also, i thought the idea of hooking e-audio files (mp3, wav, etc...) would be a common enough practice that someone here might have some suggestions.

I also came across a USB-to-coaxial digital pc audio adapter on on crutchfield.com that is called Harmon Kardon DAL 150. It suggests that the routing audio this way and bypassing the pc audio card will likely be superior (to audio output from a typical pc card). Anyone have any thoughts/experiences with these adapters??

Thanks!
-jack

Chris Hovanic

Supporting Actor
I don't know anything about the rotel but if it has an ethernet port you can hook a wireless bridge to in and connect it to your network. How you make the rotel talk to you computer... there would have to be some sort of software to run on your pc that the rotel could communicate with.

802.11g would/should have enough bandwith to stream audio but Im not sure how well it would do with video. I would opt for a cat5 connection from your PC to the rotel via a switch/hub. Might be easier said than done.

Linksys has a DAR but I think it will only stream audio.

(2) I could get a new sound card for my HP computer, one that has digital audio outputs and I could run a 50 foot coaxial digital cable to the 1055. I guess I would also have to run analog inputs for zone 2 operation.
That would work but how would you control the pc from 50 feet away.

Best bet would to see what software rotel has and use a ethernet connection or wireless bridge to connect to your network.

Good luck

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks