What's new

Is it possible to Re-purpose old speakers? (1 Viewer)

Angelmartin11

Auditioning
Real Name
Martin Gomez
Hi, i recently found a couple of old speakers lying around in my house and I was thinking i could maybe use them with my tv, the tv is a samsung nu7100. The thing is the speakers have a weird connection, it seems like its just two cables (a red and a black one). Is there some kind of adapter or is it even possible to use them with the tv?
Photo 3-6-19, 5 13 59 PM.jpg

Photo 3-6-19, 5 13 43 PM.jpg
Btw im a noob when it comes to this topic :huh:

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
That's not a weird connection at all. They're just regular speakers that connect to a regular receiver/amplifier. There's two steps to get from the TV to being able to use the speakers. You need to decode the digital optical output from the TV, and then amplify it, with a volume control. There are a lot of ways to get there, but the simplest I find after a short search is something like THIS. You probably want something with a remote control, since the remote for the TV will no longer control the volume, but you can get away a lot cheaper if you're OK not to have remote volume control.

BTW, it's possible you can get away with just a simple amp, if the TV has a remote controlled, analog audio output. Unfortunately, none is mentioned in the TV's specs, and most TVs these days don't have that anymore.

Angelmartin11

Auditioning
Real Name
Martin Gomez
That's not a weird connection at all. They're just regular speakers that connect to a regular receiver/amplifier. There's two steps to get from the TV to being able to use the speakers. You need to decode the digital optical output from the TV, and then amplify it, with a volume control. There are a lot of ways to get there, but the simplest I find after a short search is something like THIS. You probably want something with a remote control, since the remote for the TV will no longer control the volume, but you can get away a lot cheaper if you're OK not to have remote volume control.

BTW, it's possible you can get away with just a simple amp, if the TV has a remote controlled, analog audio output. Unfortunately, none is mentioned in the TV's specs, and most TVs these days don't have that anymore.

If i buy this i will have to buy new cables? or can i buy the plugs and add them to the cables attached to the speakers?

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
If i buy this i will have to buy new cables? or can i buy the plugs and add them to the cables attached to the speakers?
Just put the appropriate connector on the end of the existing cables. Normally red is "hot" and black is "ground" but it really doesn't matter as long as both cables are wired and connected to the speakers identically.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
You'll need a toslink optical cable to connect between the TV and the amp. Otherwise, use the wire already connected to the speakers. You don't need any banana plugs or anything like that, unless you want to be able to easily disconnect the speakers. They're really not needed at all.

Angelmartin11

Auditioning
Real Name
Martin Gomez
And what about this
Just put the appropriate connector on the end of the existing cables. Normally red is "hot" and black is "ground" but it really doesn't matter as long as both cables are wired and connected to the speakers identically.

Oh, i see. Also, another question xD. Would something like this work too?

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
And what about this

Oh, i see. Also, another question xD. Would something like this work too?
Absolutely. Any current surround sound receiver will work, as long as it has an optical digital audio input, which that one does.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
...or an ARC hdmi input, but a lot of people find ARC to be pretty glitchy, and some don't. I prefer to avoid using it.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
BTW, if you get a surround receiver, connect all your sources to it, NOT the TV, then run an hdmi cable from the receiver to the TV to get the video to the TV.

Angelmartin11

Auditioning
Real Name
Martin Gomez
BTW, if you get a surround receiver, connect all your sources to it, NOT the TV, then run an hdmi cable from the receiver to the TV to get the video to the TV.

Ohh, then if i have multiple consoles and something like a roku, i can connect them all to the reciever and have only one cable going into the tv?

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Yes! that is the best way to do it, and how systems using a surround receiver are intended to be connected. So, make certain the receiver you get has enough of the inputs you need. The one thing to remember, you have to turn on the receiver to get audio from any of the external sources (ex: anything that doesn't originate in the TV). I never understood why that would be a big deal. I have receivers on all my TVs and I turn them on with the TV. It's one button push, but some people will make things 10x more complicated and create all sorts of limitations solely so they can watch TV without turning on the receiver.

Angelmartin11

Auditioning
Real Name
Martin Gomez
Yes! that is the best way to do it, and how systems using a surround receiver are intended to be connected. So, make certain the receiver you get has enough of the inputs you need. The one thing to remember, you have to turn on the receiver to get audio from any of the external sources (ex: anything that doesn't originate in the TV). I never understood why that would be a big deal. I have receivers on all my TVs and I turn them on with the TV. It's one button push, but some people will make things 10x more complicated and create all sorts of limitations solely so they can watch TV without turning on the receiver.

That sounds great!, I´ll save my pennies to buy one then. Thanks for the help!.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks