Is it possible to power 4-5 pairs of in-wall speakers off one 2-channel amp?

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by KyleT, Jul 11, 2003.

1. KyleT

KyleT Stunt Coordinator

I was just wondering if this is possible and/or a recommended way of doing 'whole-house' audio?

I'm planning on buying a pretty powerful amp for my home theater room, and it'd be pretty nice to be able to use the same amp for my in-wall stuff. As a rule of thumb, I probably wouldn't ever use the inwall system at the same time as the home theater system.

The only problem I can see is somehow getting all 4-5 pairs, if they were on at the same time, to not load up my amp any more than 3-4 ohms.

2. Chris Quinn

Chris Quinn Screenwriter

Google Niles Audio speaker selectors. I don't know anything about them but it may be what you need.

3. Dave Milne

Dave Milne Supporting Actor

Five sets of eight-ohm speakers in parallel will put you at 1.6 ohms --way beyond (below, in literal terms) the impedance receivers will tolerate. You will need to use a speaker switcher/selector that will control the minimum impedance seen by the receiver.

This is a "possible" way of doing "whole house" audio. Another way is to wire them in series/parallel combinations to yield the right total impedance. The "recommended" way is to dedicate separate amps for each stereo pair or use one of the multi-amp, multi-zone "whole house" systems from Rotel, Crestron, Niles, etc.