Is it possible to place a plasma screen tv above the fireplace mantle?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Dennis Ho, Jul 1, 2003.

1. Dennis Ho

Dennis Ho Auditioning

this is im my familyroom and it is a wood burning fireplace with a real chimney. The chimney area is covered is surrounded by sheetrock/drywall. ie the wall above the mantle is drywall. I would like to hang the plasma screen there and run the wires in the wall. I figure that there is some space between the drywall and actual chimney.
    What are your thoughts?

2. Dave Dahl

Dave Dahl Stunt Coordinator

Three thoughts come to mind.

First: How will you get power to the television? Is there room for a recessed electrical outlet there.

Second: Are there studs there to hang the bracket on? I would hate to see a plasma tv fall off the wall.

Third: How high up would the screen be? If the angle is too high from where your seating is then it may be uncomfortable for your neck to look up at the tv for long periods.

-Dave

3. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

Also, another concern may be soot collecting on the screen. I know if you burn a candle anywhere near a computer monitor, for example, the soot is statically drawn to the monitor. I don't know if plasmas react the same way, but it may be something to consider.

4. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    What Dave said, probably not the best idea.

Also, that blue text color is a pain to read. Maybe you could change it for your future posts [​IMG]

Peace Out~[​IMG]

5. Kal

Kal Agent

There shouldn't be any physical reasons why you couldn't do this, but every fireplace I've ever seen would simply place the screen way too high for comfortable viewing. The center speaker would have to be even higher still.

It's unfortunate that a lot of magazines include photos of custom installs with plasma screens 5' off the ground above fireplaces. It may look good at first glance, but try sitting down and watching for a few hours!

Kal

6. Chet Wilson

Chet Wilson Stunt Coordinator

This just doesn't seem like a good idea. Not only will you have contamination problems but probably cooling problems also.

7. Rick_Brown

Rick_Brown Second Unit

Tear out old fireplace mantle. Buy a gas fireplace insert and install it in the wood-burning fireplace. Get the brass trim kit for the gas fireplace insert and then get a very small (or even no) fireplace mantle. This should gain you several inches or even a foot of space, allowing you to lower the plasma and eliminate heat and soot problems, as well.

Sounds expensive, but shouldn't cost you more than 20% of the price of the TV. [​IMG]

8. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    My first question to myself when I saw the thread title is what type of fireplace is this. If it were a gas fireplace, I would say it would be ok to try but a woodburning fp.... no.