What's new

Is it possible to mount a projector to the celing without a bracket? if so how? (1 Viewer)

Bobby Parsons

Stunt Coordinator
I plan on buying one of these tommorow since my tv is broke. InFocus Digital Projector Model: X1 . Is there a way to mount this to the ceiling cheaply? Because I would rather not have to pay anymore money for a braket. Also I might have a problem. This is for my basement and I have tiled cealings. So I'm not sure on how to go about doing this. If anyone can help me it would be much appreciated. thanks bp

Bret Pritchett

Stunt Coordinator
I couldn't afford a mount right after getting my X1, so I went to Home Depot and spent $15 on a shelf and mounts. If you do this (and your shelf is close to the ceiling) it helps to turn the X1 upside down, like a ceiling mount would have it. Thats just becuase of the angle it projects the image at.

Thomas Willard

Stunt Coordinator
Absolutely it is possible. I mounted my LCD projector from the ceiling by using two 3/4 inch pipe flanges and a 3 inch length of pipe. One flange is screwed to a ceiling joist and the other into a piece of shelf cut to the same size as the projector. I drilled holes through the shelf and got long enough bolts (in my case I needed 4mm) to fit into the mounting holes on the projector.

You definitely want to mount the projector upside down since the image will then start about 6 or so inches from the ceiling when it projects on your screen. Using this method you will not need to use the keystone correction which degrades the image.

The above should work for projectors weighing up to about ten or so pounds. If the projector weight is more than that I would then want to add angle iron to reinforce the shelf.

Build this, mount the projector, and if it is not on the floor the next morning you were successful!!!

Bobby Parsons

Stunt Coordinator
Well I dont really have a celing to attach the projector to. I have a tiled ceiling and my dad says I cant mount anything to it because it wouldn't be safe. So I've decided I'm just going to hang a 2x2 board on my wall and sit it on that. I'm not that far away from the wall I'm projecting it I would say close to 15 feet back so I dont think I will have the keystone problems. I held the projector up where I am going to have it and I think it looked really good. I just have to get my screen I made yesterday up first.

Is there anything bad about sitting the projector instead of hanging? I live in the basement and its really cool down there so I dont think it will get overheated. I might use it maybe 6 hrs a week tops.

Does anyone recommend me pluging this projector into a surge protector? I was planning on doing so just wanted to make sure it was nessary. Do the bulbs accidentally blow out often like bulb on a lamp? Because I have that problem with my lamp bulbs and cant swap these bulbs out as easy because of the price.

One more thing. When it says 3,000 hrs life on the lamp. Does this mean I wont be able to use it after that time? Or can I reset the counter if the bulb is still working at that time. Because I think thats a silly function unless the bulb is broke at that time.

Thomas Willard

Stunt Coordinator
First regarding the wall mount. If you held up the projector where it is going to sit and the image looks good then the only thing to be careful of is to leave enough distance between the wall and the back of the projector so the exhaust is not impeded.

Regarding bulb life, the 3,000 is an estimate. Your bulb may last longer or not as long as that. Here are some tips to extend bulb life:

1. Try not to turn the bulb on and off too often.
2. Run bulb at lower output, if the projector has that option.
3. Always let projector fan run after turning off bulb.

In order to help with #3, I installed an uninterruptable power supply on my projector so if the power goes out while the projector is on, you will have time to power down the projector and let the bulb cool.

If your projector has an hour counter that shuts off after reaching a pre-determined setting, you can reset that. In fact you will need to do that anyway if the original bulb does not make it to that point.

Bulbs gradually lose light output as they age and when they burn out sometimes they explode hence the warning to replace the bulb at a certain point.

Bobby Parsons

Stunt Coordinator
Ok great so updating the firmware to where it limits 4,000 instead of 3,000 isnt nessary? Because I can reset the counter? Or is there a internal counter on the bulb? Just wanted to check because I want to get as much time out of the bulb as I can. Thanks for the tips. Not sure how I'm going to be able to leave a large gap between the projector and the way but wouldnt you think 4 inches would be enough?

I cant wait to get home tonight and get all of this hooked up I just hope I dont have this so called Rainbow problem. I was watching something on it last night on my wall and when I could close my eyes I would see RED,blue, green eyes when my eyes were closed I found this weird this isnt supposed to be the rainbow effect I might have something wrong with my eyes. Hopefully I think its because I looked at the light of the projector for a half second and that did it. It was only on dvd that I saw this. Xbox didnt do anything to me. Other than the fact it looked like fast moving objects would get out of focus. I might invest in a vga box for it and see if that helps. I'm sure it will.

When you say power down. When I turn it off with the remote and I hear the fan going will this automatically turn off when its cooled? Or not stop until I flip the switch?

Ps. Does anyone know is there a place on the net that sells the lamps alot cheaper than other places? Because my lamp for the machine lists at 299.99 and I cant find it cheaper than that. I would think I would be able to find it for 250 or lower. Or does anyone think the prices of the lamps will get cheaper as time goes on?

Thomas Willard

Stunt Coordinator
1. If your projector exhausts to the rear then four inches clearance should be enough. But check the owners manual to see if they give any other information.

2. If you can reset the projector to begin the hours count again (as I can with my 300U, then whether you update the firmware or not is not important. The bulb itself does not count the hours, only the projector.

3. When I say power down, that means turning off the machine at the remote or with the power button on the machine. My 300U also has a power switch that kills all power to the projector. Do not use that switch (assuming your unit has the same set up). You want the projector to cycle through the cool down phase, which means the fan needs to run for about 30 seconds after the bulb is turned off. The projector will then go into standby mode by itself. You do not need to switch the power off.

4. Bulbs may come down in price. After all you probably will not be looking for a new bulb for at least several years. Check the web page of your manufacturer. You may find the bulb as a part number and offered for less than purchasing one at a retailer.

BenSC

Stunt Coordinator
I got an old DirecTV dish mount for free (junk) and a small peice of metal and built my mount from it. Took all of an hour, looks good (could even paint it, but the gray matched my theater), and is fully adjustable as far as height and angle go.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Total cost was $12 for the one I built below. I used 1" pipe so I could easily run my cables inside adn 3/4" MDF for the mounting plates. Next up is to add an electrical outlet for the PJ so I can ditch the extension cord.

Peace Out~:D

Bobby Parsons

Stunt Coordinator
like I said before I dont have a ceiling I can mount to. This is why I made the thread. I could make a celing mount easily thats not the problem.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Is there a way to mount this to the ceiling cheaply?
I did not read the other posts in detail and missed your other post saying you now did not have a ceiling to mount to.

What's above (or underneath) the ceiling tiles, wood ceiling joists? Can you mount your PJ plate to that, then run the pipe through the ceiling tile (assuming it's that lightweight cardboard tile) by cutting a small hole in the tile.

Peace Out~:D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks