Is it possible to have only one mouse in your house?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Bob McLaughlin, Jul 27, 2005.

1. Bob McLaughlin

Bob McLaughlin Screenwriter

Bob
    I have 3 cats who only unite when they are killing or eating something. The other day I walked down into my basement theater and saw all three cats staring under my theater seat risers. I thought they chased a spider under there, so I got a yardstick and pushed it under there. Next thing I know, a mouse pops out. I grabbed it with a towel and threw it outside.

My wife says there's no such thing as one lone mouse but I really think this is a freak occurrence. We have three very aggressive cats so I think a mouse would be crazy to take up residence in our house. The only reason I think this one came inside at all was because we had left the cat food out for several days while we were on a 3-day weekend vacation. Right before we left, my wife dished them up some canned cat food that we never usually serve them, as a treat. Ironically I think it was the catfood that attracted the mouse. We usually only put out their food for a few minutes at a time.

I've checked for any obvious holes or nests in the house but to no avail. I've heard that a mouse can squeeze through a hole the size of a dime. I believe it, that sucker was tiny! But I haven't heard any mouse noises and the cats aren't acting weird, so I think this was an anomaly. Anyone out there have any mouse stories they'd like to share? Is there such thing as getting just one mouse?

2. Kevin M

Kevin M Producer

Well, they're not cockroaches.[​IMG]
    If the door was opened for whatever reason and one lone mouse ran inside then that is how you can get a "lone wolf mouse".[​IMG]

3. DavidBL

DavidBL Stunt Coordinator

I had mice three times in my last house in Washington (several years between visits). All three times they were "loners."

4. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

I also had a mouse in my last house who worked alone.

He had built a nest in my kitchen cabinet tucked way up under the counter. A great spot, really. Dark, quiet, warm from the dishwasher. It was all packed with Kleenex, dryer lint, and bits of yarn from some of the cat toys.

We caught him with a mouse-friendly trap and drove him to a far-off field.

Usually it's in the fall when mice are looking to move someplace warm and indoors. A lot of times they'll make their way through a dryer vent or a hole in a window screen.

Keep an eye out... since you didn't take him far away.. he may come back.

5. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    Is it possible to have just one mouse? Sure, if you live in an animated Chuck Jones short. [​IMG]

Nah, like others have said, it probably just wandered in from outside.

6. StephenA

StephenA Screenwriter

Yea it's possible. Though the saying "If there's one, there's usually more" is true in a lot of cases. I know there's mice in my house, though I don't usually see them unless I see my cats playing with one or find a dead one that they left as a present on the floor or in the tub.

7. Chris Lockwood

Chris Lockwood Producer

Some mice are bachelors and are quite happy alone.

8. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino

Sure, if you only have one computer.

What?

[​IMG]

Joe

9. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

I have 5 mice - two Logitech MX700s (one of them is missing a base station when it got stolen at the beginning of the year), a Logitech MX510, a Logitech MX1000 (best mouse ever!), and an original POS Microsoft Intellimouse optical - it has a flaky cord so it doesn't work.

With the money I spent on these mice, I could have gotten a hundred of the furry warm-blooded mammalian kind.