What's new

Is it possible to have only one mouse in your house? (1 Viewer)

Bob McLaughlin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob
I have 3 cats who only unite when they are killing or eating something. The other day I walked down into my basement theater and saw all three cats staring under my theater seat risers. I thought they chased a spider under there, so I got a yardstick and pushed it under there. Next thing I know, a mouse pops out. I grabbed it with a towel and threw it outside.

My wife says there's no such thing as one lone mouse but I really think this is a freak occurrence. We have three very aggressive cats so I think a mouse would be crazy to take up residence in our house. The only reason I think this one came inside at all was because we had left the cat food out for several days while we were on a 3-day weekend vacation. Right before we left, my wife dished them up some canned cat food that we never usually serve them, as a treat. Ironically I think it was the catfood that attracted the mouse. We usually only put out their food for a few minutes at a time.

I've checked for any obvious holes or nests in the house but to no avail. I've heard that a mouse can squeeze through a hole the size of a dime. I believe it, that sucker was tiny! But I haven't heard any mouse noises and the cats aren't acting weird, so I think this was an anomaly. Anyone out there have any mouse stories they'd like to share? Is there such thing as getting just one mouse?

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Well, they're not cockroaches.;)
If the door was opened for whatever reason and one lone mouse ran inside then that is how you can get a "lone wolf mouse".:)

DavidBL

Stunt Coordinator
I had mice three times in my last house in Washington (several years between visits). All three times they were "loners."

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
I also had a mouse in my last house who worked alone.

He had built a nest in my kitchen cabinet tucked way up under the counter. A great spot, really. Dark, quiet, warm from the dishwasher. It was all packed with Kleenex, dryer lint, and bits of yarn from some of the cat toys.

We caught him with a mouse-friendly trap and drove him to a far-off field.

Usually it's in the fall when mice are looking to move someplace warm and indoors. A lot of times they'll make their way through a dryer vent or a hole in a window screen.

Keep an eye out... since you didn't take him far away.. he may come back.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Is it possible to have just one mouse? Sure, if you live in an animated Chuck Jones short. :D

Nah, like others have said, it probably just wandered in from outside.

StephenA

Screenwriter
Yea it's possible. Though the saying "If there's one, there's usually more" is true in a lot of cases. I know there's mice in my house, though I don't usually see them unless I see my cats playing with one or find a dead one that they left as a present on the floor or in the tub.

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
I have 5 mice - two Logitech MX700s (one of them is missing a base station when it got stolen at the beginning of the year), a Logitech MX510, a Logitech MX1000 (best mouse ever!), and an original POS Microsoft Intellimouse optical - it has a flaky cord so it doesn't work.

With the money I spent on these mice, I could have gotten a hundred of the furry warm-blooded mammalian kind.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks