Is it possible to have my own server at home?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by David Baranyi, Sep 30, 2003.

1. David Baranyi

David Baranyi Stunt Coordinator

I understand that my web site is located at one of my host's servers, but is it possible to have my own server at home and act as my own host? Would a personal server be too expensive to purchase and maintain?

2. Dave Gorman

Dave Gorman Supporting Actor

If your website is not a bandwidth hog (no streaming media or large file downloads), and if you have a broadband connection at home (cable/dsl), it can be possible. Windows XP Pro has a stripped down version of IIS which allows you to run your own webserver and/or FTP server. There are some things to keep in mind:

*It may be against your ISP's Terms of Service to run a webserver through your broadband connection. In fact, my cable provider blocks incoming port 80 (standard HTTP port) access.

*You may not have a static IP address. It's possible that over time your IP address could change. Along with that, even if you are hosting your own website, you will still have to have DNS servers providing resolution of your domain name to your IP address.

There's more I could say, but my coffee hasn't kicked in well enough yet. I'll be following this thread and will try to chip in if you have more questions.

3. JamesHl

JamesHl Supporting Actor

How about for the love of god, don't run IIS. Use Apache.

4. Chris Hovanic

Chris Hovanic Supporting Actor

Yes Apache is free and much better/more secure than IIS.

If you don't have a static IP you can use dyndns.org and create a sorta domain for free. It would be like baranyi.homeip.net or something similar. There are other sites that do the same thing.

You can then use a third party program to monitor your ip address and update it auto-magically when it changes.

You will also have to open up your fire wall to get to your web sever.

Good luck

5. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

I have often wondered about this as well. Actually, I'm not really concerned with a web site that everyone can get to, but more of a "Web Cam" site where I could hook a camera up and point it at my brid cage so I could monitor my birds from work.

Any ideas on how to set up a camera like that and serve the pages from my home?

6. Chris Hovanic

mark...

Do you want to stream the video of the bird or just upload a pic every 15 sec. ?

Your web cam should have come with software that would allow either.

If you want to have the pic every 15 sec. the software could FTP the pic to your web host and the page would be updated.

I used to have a free program that did this and streaming video but Im not sure where it is... let me look and I will find it and hopefully a link.

7. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

You can get around the non-fixed IP issue by going to www.no-ip.com

8. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

9. David Baranyi

David Baranyi Stunt Coordinator

This is to let everyone know that I seriously do not want to move my web site from my host's server to my own. I am just curious on whether I can host a web site on my own server.

I assumed that in the current age of the Internet that people with the experience, time, and money can own their own servers to host their web sites without a third party (e.g. Speedhost for the HTF).

10. John_Berger

John_Berger Cinematographer

11. JamesHl

JamesHl Supporting Actor

Well, if you're running a real serious site you would get business class isp service anyway, so most of these points would be moot.

12. Gordon Moore

Gordon Moore Second Unit

A webcam can upload the pic to a server or just mail it to you at work If you want. Eith snapping a pic every so many sec or streaming it.

The monitor at home stuff is a nice cheap security feature as well. Just point it at your theater gear while you are away.

13. Chris Hovanic

hehe so you can droll at it all day long [​IMG]