Is it possible to get good tv sound through my speaker system?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by lissie, Sep 23, 2001.

1. lissie

lissie Agent

I have a DTS 5.1 system and love it.I have just regular cable.I know analog is analog. I have a Panasonic Tau 27''TV... I know the sound will only come through the front speakers .When I play the tv through my receiver it sounds awful is there anything I can do???

2. Guy Kuo

Guy Kuo Supporting Actor

Actually, I would expect the sound to be much better through your receiver and main 5.1 speakers than the ones in the Tau itself. Make sure you are doing the following.
    1. Connected left and right audio line level outputs from the Tau's fixed or variable outputs to an audio input of your receiver. Personally, I'd use the fixed output and do all volume setting at the receiver. This allows a higher level audio signal to arrive at the receiver and possibly help with surround dematrixing in the receiver. YMMV. Be certain that is NOT the phono input of the receiver.
    2. Set the Tau to do stereo sound but turn OFF any surround modes in the Tau. You want your 5.1 receiver to do the dematrixing not the Tau. The Tau's surround modes simulate surround speakers by adding additional sound signals to the left and right speaker channels. If that pre-faked signal gets fed into the receiver and then is dematrixed again, the results are likely going to be pretty whacked.
    3. Set your reciever to Dolby Prologic or Dolby THX mode. That will let the receiver do the surround decoding.
    4. Turn off the speakers in the Tau and use only the 5.1's speakers for TV sound
    5. If the above fails miserably, consider letting a good stereo VCR act as the audio source rather than the Tau.
    ------------------
    Guy Kuo
    www.ovationsw.com
    Ovation Software, the Home of AVIA DVD

3. Stefan A

Stefan A Second Unit

4. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

If you are using a variable audio output from the Panasonic TV to your receiver, you may have the volume level of the TV too high, which can cause distortion of the audio signal. As Guy suggested, you can avoid this problem if the TV has an option for a fixed level audio output. If there is no fixed level option, try turning down the volume of the TV.
    ------------------
    [​IMG]
    My DVD Collection
    AFI 100 Films to watch: 40 -> 5

5. lissie

lissie Agent

THANKS for the advice everyone... You're all wonderful!!!!!