Is it possible to eliminate the cut off cross-over frequency on this amp?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike Kao, Jul 27, 2001.

1. Mike Kao

Mike Kao Second Unit

I have a Midiland S2-4100 multimedia speaker system. The subwoofer has a built-in amplifier that powers the 2 speakers and has a high cut-off frequency. Now what I'm looking to do, is hook up the subwoofer to the sub-out on my receiver and have 2 bass shakers powered by the subwoofer. The amp is rated at 25 watt/channel @ 4ohms; PERFECT for the shakers! However, as you can imagine, the cut-off frequency on the amp will not make this possible since the aura bass shakers I will be using only operate at lower frequencies. Now before you say this isn't worth it, keep in mind, this isn't your average speaker system. The S2-4100 was, and quite possibly still is the best multimedia speaker set around, and retailed for $500 when it came out. Although the subwoofer doesn't have the power of a quality 200 watt home theatre sub, it's good for what it is and outputs tight clean bass. The amp in it is highly effecient and is perfect for the aura bass shakers. All I have to do is take care the frequency cut-off... any ideas?
    [Edited last by Mike Kao on August 05, 2001 at 12:58 AM]

2. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Mike,
    I imagine this speaker set was designed to be used as a “system” and as such the crossover in the sub is designed to match the response of the main speakers. If you eliminate the sub’s crossover and let the receiver supply a lower crossover point, you will then have a “hole” in the system’s response between where the mains roll out and where the sub kicks in. After doing this your speaker set will no longer be “one of the best around.”
    The sub’s crossover point is determined by electronic circuitry built in to the amplifier section. It may be possible to modify or bypass it, but you would have to be knowledgeable of component-level circuitry, reading schematics, etc. My guess is that if you had these skills, Mike, you wouldn’t be posting a question here asking how to do it. [​IMG]
    All may not be lost, however. You said the bass shakers “only operate at lower frequencies.” If this is the case, it will not hurt to feed them a broader-band signal.
    If you indeed are going to power the shakers with the sub amp, you need to be careful how you ultimately accomplish this. For instance, if the drivers in the sub are 8-ohms, and the shakers are also 8-ohms, and you connect them all in parallel, you will give the sub amp a 1-ohm load. If that’s the case, the sub amp isn’t going to last long.
    Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

3. Mike Kao

Mike Kao Second Unit

So if this IS possible, is it reversable so I would not ruin the speaker system? Both the amp and shakers are rated at 4 ohms... so would I just hook each shaker to a separate 25 watt channel right?

4. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Mike,
    Are you saying that you are going to run only the shakers off the amp—that is, you are disconnecting the sub speakers? It so, it will be fine.
    However, if you are going to run both the shakers and the subs off the amp, you will reduce the load to 2-ohms, unless you do a parallel connection. A 2-ohm load will eventually burn out the amp.
    Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt