Is it possible to connect two sets of speakers to one set of connections?

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Bart_R, Jul 20, 2004.

1. Bart_R

Bart_R Stunt Coordinator

I'm considering doing this for a "normal" stereo receiver and a digital 5.1 receiver (adding some more rears). So, can it be done? Can you send a signal meant for just one set of speakers to two sets?

Thanks in advance [​IMG]

Bart.

2. Michael R Price

Michael R Price Screenwriter

Yes, wire them in parallel, but only if the receiver can handle the load (half that of one speaker, if they have the same impedance rating). That means connecting the positive leads together and the negative leads together. You can probably get away with going below the receiver's lowest rated impedance, if you don't want to play loudly.

3. Bart_R

Bart_R Stunt Coordinator

Alright, thanks Michael. I'll try it out...

p.s. By half of one speaker do you mean I can calculate the load by adding half the power of one speaker to half the power of the other (from the other set)?

4. Rob Kramer

Rob Kramer Second Unit

No, you jut cut the load in half. If you are using two 8-ohm speakers (per channel) it will be like having one 4-ohm speaker. Now, a 4-ohm speaker will require twice as much power (wattage) versus an 8-ohm speaker. Hence, 4-ohm speakers are very taxing on the amp, and as such, usually require a better quality amp (or just a higher power amp). First, you need to see if your digital amp can even handle 4-ohm loads (look in the owners manual).

Of course, this all assumes that the speakers in question are 8-ohm. If the are 6-ohm or 4-ohm, then running them in parallel will probably fry YOUR amp (assuming entry-level amp) rather quickly.

In the end, I dont see what adding additional surrounds is going to do for you. You are better off upgrading your current (5) speakers, or your amp, or both.

5. Bart_R

Bart_R Stunt Coordinator

Oh, I see. It's rather tricky then.

Well, as far as my surround set-up goes, I don't really need it. I just felt like experimenting with it. You see, I just upgraded my rears (to mission 771's) and now I've got some spare speakers (old jamo sattelites) and I thought I might put them to use still. Next I thought they might be of better use in my parents' set-up. They just bought a new tv, which I hooked up to their (fairly old) stereo hi-fi set. I figured, why not add my old little jamo's to it for a little extra touch. However, now it doesn't seem like such a good idea.

Thanks for the info...

p.s. the hifi-set does have a rather unusual connection for a surround speaker set (it consists of just two cable-"outs" (instead of 4) (and for plugs, not wires), a red one and a white one (L and R). I might do something with this, but I'm not sure how yet.

6. Rob Kramer

Rob Kramer Second Unit

Thats to hook to an external amp (or powered speakers).

Its there because the unit doesnt have an internal amp to power the surrounds.

7. Bart_R

Bart_R Stunt Coordinator

Ok, thanks. I've been wondering about that...