What's new

Is it possible to connect reciver to my computer? (1 Viewer)

Josh*C

Auditioning
I've pretty much settled on buying this receiver the Pioneer Surround Sound Receiver (VSX-515-K)
Seen at Circuit City if you add this
/ssm/Pioneer-Surround-Sound-Receiver-VSX-515-K-/sem/rpsm/oid/115330/catOid/-12949/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do
but I wondering if it is possible to connect this to my computer and if so how would I go about doing this. Since my music is on the computer that's normally where I play it from so I'm hoping I'll be able to do this.

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member
I hate minijacks. Hate them with a passion. The connection just isn't secure,

If I was connecting a computer to a receiver, I would use spdif-- which can also be used for dts and dolby digital surround sound. I think (surround) wma is also compatible with the latest pioneers, in case you've sold your soul to microsoft.

FeisalK

Screenwriter
just stereo, but you can use PLII on the receiver to extract a surround soundfield.

just a note on other options available (costs attached of course)

some people are using iTunes on PC, wireless connection to an Apple Airport Express (~$150?) and a optical jack from the Airport Express to the receiver. Is useful if your PC is in a different room or something and you don't want to lay a coax cable.

This works well, but you are tied to managing songs on itunes on the PC and changing songs isn't convenient. So, there are products like Slimdevices Squeezebox and Roku Soundbridge that bring your playlist to a standalone unit that can sit on top of your receiver/equipment stand, with a remote control.

Nathan_W

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Nathan

Yep, I've had a Squeezebox working nicely for a while. Very happy with it. You can try out their Slimserver software if you like, just d/l it from their website.

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member
kensington sells a remote for the airport (it plugs into the unit's usb port), though you still won't get a display.

EricB

Agent
I have used 4 types of connections between my PC and Receiver.

1. SPDIF (RG6 Coax with RCA connectors) - soundcard
2. Optical (Toslink) - soundcard
3. Multichannel (multiple runs of minijack to RCA) - soundcard
4. Stereo minijack to RCA - motherboard

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks