Is it possible to connect reciver to my computer?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Josh*C, Apr 13, 2006.

1. Josh*C

Josh*C Auditioning

I've pretty much settled on buying this receiver the Pioneer Surround Sound Receiver (VSX-515-K)
    Seen at Circuit City if you add this
    /ssm/Pioneer-Surround-Sound-Receiver-VSX-515-K-/sem/rpsm/oid/115330/catOid/-12949/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do
    but I wondering if it is possible to connect this to my computer and if so how would I go about doing this. Since my music is on the computer that's normally where I play it from so I'm hoping I'll be able to do this.

2. BillSuneson

BillSuneson Stunt Coordinator

Yes you can get a cable like this(you don't have to use monster it's just a quick reference, as you could most likely find on that is less expensive that will work as good if not better):

http://www.monstercable.com/productPage.asp?pin=432

Or depending on your sound card in computer you may be able to use optical or coaxial.

Bill

3. Josh*C

Josh*C Auditioning

Will that give surround sound to the speaker system or just stereo.

4. Reginald Trent

Reginald Trent Screenwriter

Just stereo and you don't need a monstercable just go to radioshack and save yourself money.

5. JeremyErwin

JeremyErwin Producer

I hate minijacks. Hate them with a passion. The connection just isn't secure,

If I was connecting a computer to a receiver, I would use spdif-- which can also be used for dts and dolby digital surround sound. I think (surround) wma is also compatible with the latest pioneers, in case you've sold your soul to microsoft.

6. FeisalK

FeisalK Screenwriter

just stereo, but you can use PLII on the receiver to extract a surround soundfield.

just a note on other options available (costs attached of course)

some people are using iTunes on PC, wireless connection to an Apple Airport Express (~$150?) and a optical jack from the Airport Express to the receiver. Is useful if your PC is in a different room or something and you don't want to lay a coax cable.

This works well, but you are tied to managing songs on itunes on the PC and changing songs isn't convenient. So, there are products like Slimdevices Squeezebox and Roku Soundbridge that bring your playlist to a standalone unit that can sit on top of your receiver/equipment stand, with a remote control.

7. Nathan_W

Nathan_W Stunt Coordinator

Yep, I've had a Squeezebox working nicely for a while. Very happy with it. You can try out their Slimserver software if you like, just d/l it from their website.

8. JeremyErwin

JeremyErwin Producer

kensington sells a remote for the airport (it plugs into the unit's usb port), though you still won't get a display.

9. EricB

EricB Agent

I have used 4 types of connections between my PC and Receiver.

1. SPDIF (RG6 Coax with RCA connectors) - soundcard
    2. Optical (Toslink) - soundcard
    3. Multichannel (multiple runs of minijack to RCA) - soundcard
    4. Stereo minijack to RCA - motherboard