What's new

Is it possible to configure my AVR7200 to do this? (1 Viewer)

Jeff shark

Grip
Hello guys,
this is my first time asking a question here, mostly just read & try to learn as much as possible.

Quick run-down of my system:
TV: Sony 42" LCD kf-42we610
DVD: Sony DVP-NS725P
Receiver: Harman Kardon AVR-7200
Speakers: Adire Kit281 ported towers

I do not plan to use the 7200 as a 6.1 or 7.1 system ever (well, not in the near future, my apt isn't that big),
so I currently have 2 channels available to use.

I am thinking of adding 4 Aura bass shakers (the 25watt models, partsexpress has them for dirt cheap) to the seating in my living room, for the "added effect" since I have no dedicated sub (neighbors would flip!)

Now, my question,

Is there a way to setup my AVR7200 to power these bass shakers easily?

I've been reading trough the manual, & the unit is capable of using the extra 2 channels for an "extra room system".
I *think* (if I'm reading it correctly) I can feed the RCA SUB-output from the 7200 into one of the analog inputs,
then select the multi-room option to use that input.

If this is possible, then I can lowpass the signal for the bass shakers (they only handle up to 100Hz), & not have unused channels.

If anyone has used the multi-room feature & has any comments/idea's, it would be Greatly appreciated.

Thanks, & just wanted to give a *thumbs up* to everyone here, you guys are amazingly knowledgable.

Greg Thomas

Second Unit
I'm not sure if what you want to do would work. First thing, I don't even know if it is possible to reroute the sub output to the 2nd room inputs.

I have two different ideas.

1. Why don't set your system up for 6 or 7 speakers?
a. Use your towers for the main L/R speakers
b. Use two aura bass shakers for surround speakers
c. Use the other two for surround back.
d. Set all speakers to LARGE and no sub
e. Set the surround and back crossover as low as possible, I think it might be 40hz.

The aura bass shakers connect just like regular speakers. Your 7200 has amps for 7 channels. If you run 7 channel stereo then each speaker will be sent full sound. Now there are two things I'm not sure about.
1. Your Aura bass shakers are 4ohm. This may make the 7200 run hot. But since they only need 25 watts, maybe not.
2. You're sending full frequencies to the bass shakers, the frequency response according the Parts Express is 20-100hz. There is no crossover so where do the high frequencies go? Will is damage the auras? I don't know.

Would I try it on my receiver? Nope. Your bass shakers only cost $60 for two pair. Is it worth possibly screwing up your $1799 msrp (you probably paid less than $900) receiver? Not to me.

Idea 2. I would just forget about the bass shakers and spend $125 on the Dayton Powered Sub and set it up as a 2.1 system. Just turn it on low to avoid the neighbors whining.

You spent all that money on a great receiver. Use it properly.

VictorLS

Auditioning
I'm certianly not an expert, but it sounds like something I would try, it seems perfectly logical, to connect the sub pre-out to the 6 or 7 (multi-room) pre-in, and let it fly...
-I like it

Jeff shark

Grip
I should have been more clear, sorry :)

I do have a "surround" system going right now....
my other speakers are yet to be built (the Adire LCC & some Kit 8.1's for rears).
My TV speakers are currently doing "center channel duty", & I have some temporary rears as well.

You may have misunderstood my post though, I'm very pleased wit the actual bass output from my 281 towers. I just want the extra "lowend feeling", maybe I'm just used to feeing the bass a bit more sce I have a 12" Brahma in my truck.
I am hoping the Aura shakers will provide the extra experience.

Yes, they are 4 ohms, I was planning on wiring each pair in series for an 8 ohm load. I value my receiver & don't want to abuse it :)

As I am reading more & more into the huge manual, I *think*
I can program the #6 & 7 channels to use whatever input on the back, say Video1 stereo input, for example.

Now my idea was, if I used the normal sub-out, the 7200 lowpasses that signal, so the shakers should be ok.

Am I making sense? I sure hope I don't toast anything!
:)
I get back from my buisness trip tomorrow, so I'll have to go through the onscreen menu & see what type of input the multi-room option will allow.

Thanks for the input!

Greg Thomas

Second Unit
Well, in order to send bass signals to the sub output, you'll have to tell the system you have a sub and then set the crossovers appropriately so that the lowest frequencies will go there.

It might work by using one of the analog inputs. Get a Y connector from the sub out and plug it into the L/R jacks of a analog source. Tell the system you're using MultiRoom and change the Surround Back speakers to MR. Select your 2nd room source and adjust the volume appropriately.

It may work, I dunno.

I still think you'd get better low end bass and the "feel" from a dedicated sub.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks