Is it possible to build your own projector?

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by EricDeB, Jun 16, 2006.

1. EricDeB

EricDeB Stunt Coordinator

Because I have a super cool 4th period teacher and it's finals week, the 4 people in my stats class (all the seniors had graduated) were playing Halo on the school projector. Now I was looking at this cheap, old projector, and I got to thinking that there is probably a way to build one that works as well as this for fairly cheap.

I can imagine that if I were to build one it wouldn't rival a nice store-bought one, but when you're looking at a 25 inch sharp tv, pretty much anything larger (no matter how crappy the picture) looks a lot better. Is there a way to do this? I can probably rustle up a few hundred dollars and buy parts on eBay. Has anybody had success with this and have a good set of plans to follow? I don't have a lot to do this summer, and am looking for a cool project.

Thanks a ton
    Eric

2. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Hi Eric.

While I usually encourage DIY projects, this is a bit out-there. There is a lot of electronics issues to decode the interlace and HD video signals, power engineering to drive the tubes or light, a lot of optic problems to get the image to focus correctly, etc.

A better project for the summer: build your own subwoofer. There are parts and kits at www.partsexpress.com and lots of things to learn about enclosures, crossovers, mono-amplifiers, drivers, etc.

(I'm talking a HT sub here, but some people get into this and make subwoofers for people who like 'boom-cars' as a side-line).

Then you can try building your own speakers.

You can usually do a DIY subwoofer or speaker project and create speakers that are about 50-60% cheaper that retail ones of similar accuracy.

There is also a lot you can do for your own home system with calibration of the speakers, seating distance to your home TV, calibrating a TV with Avia or Video Essentials (yes, even a 19" tube can be adjusted), etc. This might give you an idea of the science behind image technology.

Hope these suggestions help.

3. EricDeB

EricDeB Stunt Coordinator

Haha. I was thinking the same thing, until I found these forums. It might change your mind.

http://lumenlab.com/forums/?ref=

It's pretty sweet and I'll let you guys know if I ever finish this.

Eric

4. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

Yes there are some DIY projects out there, and it may be a fun project, but don't expect to beat or really come close to what you can buy commercially. Would certainly be fun though!