Is it possible to add more surround speakers?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dan_Morez, Jan 5, 2003.

1. Dan_Morez

Dan_Morez Agent

Does anyone know if it's possible to add another pair of surround speakers? I own a denon 3802 and am set up for a 7.1 surround system, klipsch R7 series (l,c,r,sr,sl,srb,slb) Is it possible to add another pair of surrounds for the sides without hindering the overall sound for the people who sit in the back? Do I need another amp to power these speakers? If so, what kind? 2 channel? 4 channel? I haven't started yet, but soon I'll be building a designated home theater and would like to have multiple rows for seating. If anyone has any information about this type of setup any information would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks

Dan M.

2. RichardH

RichardH Supporting Actor

Umm, you already have 7 speakers and a sub and you want to add another pair???

3. Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson Cinematographer

Carl III
    Sure it's possible. In the majority of SDDS theaters they use more than 8 speakers for eight channels of sound. You can add as many speakers as you'd like but whether it will improve sound quality depends on your room. Unless you're showing movies in an auditorium adding more speakers just might be overkill.

4. GregLee

GregLee Stunt Coordinator

I have extra speakers wired in series with my left and right surrounds. Sounds good to me. No extra amp, but volume to surrounds adjusted up a few db. This arrangement, I understand, has the potential for making any unevenness in frequency response of surrounds even worse, so if you try it and it sounds bad, I disclaim responsibility.

5. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

I would think as long as the room is large-long enough, this might work fine.

Also I would think direct speakers need to be used and not a bi-tri pole. Of course new spl readings (calibration) need to be taken for those channels and at the seating points directly across from them..

Only a very large-long room, I think would need or require this. To small and I think even calibrated properly, it's going to affect the ambiance of the surrounds. Instead of getting more of that spaciousness, it could do just the oppisite.

I have no (real experience) with this, your 9.1 idea, but this is what common sense tells me.
    I certainly could be very wrong in my thinking, and those that have ~{real experience}~ with this set-up/idea should definitly chime in.....!

Regards
    Geoff

6. Dan_Morez

Dan_Morez Agent

Thanks for your responses, this'll definitely help in my decision.