What's new

Is it possible that Wally Szczerbiak is better than Allen Iverson? (1 Viewer)

MichaelG

Second Unit
Well it definately appears that they do not count a missed shot as a FGA when you are fouled. I was "watching" part of a game last night on NBA Courtside Live over the internet. They display all stats as the game goes. I was focusing on Chris Mihm for Cleveland and his stats were listed as 3-3 (FGA-FGM), 2-2 (FTA-FTM) and 8 points. The scrolling commentary even said that he was fouled while shooting then made his two Free Throws.

I wonder if it's always been like this.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I can't say that it's ALWAYS been like this, but ever since I've been watching basketball it's been this way. Of course I don't remember not having a 3 point line, or not having a shot clock, so that should date how old I am.

Again, I think that link that said "Definitions" was exactly that: a definition. A FG attempt doesn't have to leave the shooter's hand because he may be held and prevented from releasing the ball. That's just for the officials to award a foul shot even if the person fouled doesn't release the ball (ala Shaq getting hugged in the paint and not getting his arms up over his head).

It's not a missive on how stats are kept.

Think about this: Shaq has a 57% shooting percentage. If you watch a Laker game, he gets hammered hard and misses most of the shots he is fouled on. And he doesn't make every shot that he ISN'T fouled on. So if they counted his missed shots that send him to the line, his shooting percentage would probably be 40% or less.

Reginald Trent

Screenwriter
People use to call Michael Jordan a ball hog, but six championships have his former critics quieter than Charlie Chaplin. ;)

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
Yes, Reginald, but MJ averaged about 52% shooting for his first six to eight years in the league. If he had the stamina, it would be justified for him to take every shot.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Re: MJ - his stats did decline when he won those 6 rings, though, since they surrounded him with a team.

Plus MJ was an incredible defender. And he made his team better. Look what happened to Pippen, Kerr, Kukoc and all the others after His Airness left.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks