Is it possible that refurbished HK receivers might be better than new ones?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by salim_N, Aug 26, 2003.

1. salim_N

salim_N Extra

Follow my train of thought here...

New HK AVR's seem to come with some problems. So, someone buys a NEW HK, identifies a problem with the receiver. Person return/exchanges receiver. Problems seem to pop up very soon after purchase so receiver is by all intents & purposes, new. HK takes this "new" receiver, fixes the problem/problems & sells it as REFURBISHED. Person who buys the referbed receiver is spared the problems the avr had initially and gets a practically new receiver for $200 less with the full 2 year warranty! Wow! Am I wrong?![​IMG]

Salim

2. ChrisLazarko

ChrisLazarko Supporting Actor

So far I haven't seen alot of problems with the HK AVR-xx5 series. There previous series such as the AVR-xx0 has some problems with amplifiers and such.

3. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

No. But here's why I think that... [​IMG]

I thought the *exact* same thing when I got my Pioneer Elite DV-05 DVD player a couple of years ago. They were known for tranports failing, so me, trying to be smart figured, hey, I'll get a refurb that has *already* been repaired. Wrong. Transport died after about 18 months. (Pioneer admitted that it had been repaired more than once even before I bought it.) Even though it was way out of warranty, I pressed and Pioneer took it back and gave me a great deal on a 47ai.

Be careful too, in that most refurbs I'm familiar with, only give you a 90 day warranty. H/K might be different though.

4. ChrisLazarko

ChrisLazarko Supporting Actor

Well I was looking at a refurb HK AVR-225 but I did end up buying brand new as I didn't know who had used it before me or how abused it had been.

Although the unit may be totally fixed usually only the component that is bad will go. Say the volume knob didn't work correctly and the unit is 6 months old and has had constant 24/7 use by some person who loves music at very loud levels.

It is strain on the reciever and is basically using it's life up slowly. So you start out with a new reciever that is already used and has hours put on it. Sort of like a car but the meter that tells you how many miles is on the car isn't there for the reciever.

HK does take very good care of there products and I think there AVR-xx5 series is the best yet.

5. Jay Blanchard

Well, I just bought the $511 Harman Kardon AVR-525 from OneCall. The warranty is 2 years parts and labor, walk-in service. The nearest walk-in service center to me is about 10 hours south in Miami. However, it'd be 10 hours south for a new unit as well.

I saved a little money, and assumed a little extra risk (i'm hoping it's not all dented and scratched to hell, as well. If there is a problem, I still have the option to ship it to a service center.

6. SeanA

SeanA Second Unit

I would guess that most refurbished units are only 30-90 days old, simply because most stores will only allow "exchanges" within this period. Beyond 30-90 days, it is your product and you must get it repaired (not exchanged) if you have any problems with it. I know when I have had to send electronics in for repair in the past, I get back the same "repaired" unit and not a brand new exchange.