Is it possible? Hooking up a thermostat to an exhust fan.

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Ron-P, Dec 2, 2003.

1. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    I have a standard off the shelf 8" fan I use for exhusting hot air from the HT. I'd like to mount a thermostat in the room and wire the fan up to it. Currently it is wired to a wall switch. Is it possible?

Peace Out~[​IMG]

2. Ron Hanson

Ron Hanson Agent

You might be able to use a ductstat.
    http://www.suncourt.com/Ductstat.html
    Home depot carries them. It works great for venting hushboxes or equipment racks. Not sure about a whole room situation though.

3. Erik Farstad

Erik Farstad Supporting Actor

Ron, you may have noticed the in-line duct fan I recently installed...that very ductstat the 'other' Ron [​IMG] just shared would work perfectly for what I did if I wanted to use it...so I don't know why it wouldn't work for you in your situation...as long as the loads are compatible.

Set your desired temp...then just sit back and enjoy. I put mine on an x-10 control switch because I didn't need the fan going on/off 24/7.

E

4. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    Thanks. That Ductstat looks to be what I need. I'll pick one up and give it a run.

Eric, I will also install an on/off switch to this as well so it'll only run when I'm in the theater and not 24/7 as well.

Peace Out~[​IMG]

5. Erik Farstad

Erik Farstad Supporting Actor

Good idear Ron, good idear! [​IMG]

E

6. Robert

Robert Extra

ron,
    you can use the duct stat as long as the stat is rated for less than the fan. should work gr8[​IMG]

7. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    10-4 [​IMG]

Peace Out~[​IMG]

8. JohnCHA

JohnCHA Auditioning

Middle Atlantic Products makes a thermostat that you can plug your fan in to. The thermostat setting is adjustable starting at 85 degrees. Once temperature setting is reached the fan is turned on. Will run until the temperature drops below the set amount.

9. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    Do you have a web link JOhnCHA? Also, when you say it starts at 85, will it go lower to say 68 or so? 85 is way to hot to wait for fan to kick on.

Peace Out~[​IMG]

10. JohnCHA

JohnCHA Auditioning

I believe 85 is the lowest setting but I have had not a problem with it. My equipment is in a closet and the fans never come on as it does not get that hot. Unit has a manual override to run the fans without using the thermostat. Since I do not post enough the forum will not let me post a url. It is however the name (middleatlanic) preceded by the normal 3 w's and followed by the usual com.

Hope this helps.

John

11. JohnCHA

JohnCHA Auditioning

sorry for the spelling error - it is middleatlantic

John

12. Frank Zimkas

Frank Zimkas Supporting Actor

13. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    JohnCHA, this is not for an equipment rack, this is for my HT room. The exhaust fan is used to cool the room down. So, I need it to kick in around 70.

Frank, it looks like I cannot plug a fan into that Honeywell thermostat. A thermostat I can plug into a wall outlet and plug a fan into it. The Ductstat seems to be exactly that.

The bummer, Home Depot does not stock it in store so I'll have to order it on line.

Thanks guys!

Peace Out~[​IMG]

14. Ralph Summa

Ralph Summa Supporting Actor

Ron,

I've had a Ductstat for almost two years now. I plugged two 4" 120V fans into it and it kicks on when heat builds up inside my entertainment cabinet. It doesn't look like much out of the box, but it does the job. You can't set it to a specific temperature, so it's pretty much a trial and error process. I bought mine from these guys.

Ralph

15. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    Thanks Ralph. I figured I'd get it installed and when the room heats up I'll turn the dial until the fan kicks in and then see how that works and then adjust it from there.

I ordered it from Homedepot.com for $28. It's a bit less but also, if it does not work out I can walk it in to any store for a refund.

Peace Out~[​IMG]

16. Ralph Summa

Ralph Summa Supporting Actor

That's about what it says in the instructions. For your application you set the switch on "HEAT". I was thinking I wanted the device to cool my cabinet but you set it to sense a build-up in heat so "HEAT" is the way to go. I had mine on "COOL" at first and couldn't figure out why it wasn't working. The directions weren't all that clear.

Good price!

Ralph

17. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    Thanks for the heads up Ralph. I was wondering that myself reading through the on line instructions.

Peace Out~[​IMG]