Is it possible for a player to damage your discs?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Andrew Howe, Nov 18, 2001.

1. Andrew Howe

Andrew Howe Auditioning

So there I was, watching my much-loved copy of Still Crazy, when everything started going haywire. Checking the disc, I noticed that it was scratched to hell, so I assumed that I must have dropped it on the ground one night when I'd had a few too many beers.
    However, this got me to thinking - is it possible for the player itself to scratch your discs? I once had an old CD player that was accused by some of doing exactly that, but I would have thought that the only way that could happen would be if the laser actually touched the disc, and I imagine the disc wouldn't play if that was happening.
    I suppose this could also be caused by some kind of grit in the disc tray, but I reckon it'd have to be a pretty noticeable foreign object to do any real damage.
    I'm going to run a few tests on my least favourite DVD's, but if anybody has any input I'd be glad to hear it.
    Thanks
    Andrew

2. Vietor

Vietor Stunt Coordinator

I know a guy who has a 3 disk DVD changer, in the form of 3 individual trays, and tray 1 will eat DVD's. You put a DVD in and it comes out all scratched up, tray 3 works fine, and tray 2 also seems to work fine, but tray 1 will eat whatever you put in it.
    So yes, a player can kill CD/DVDs. I don'tt know if the DVD played correctly while it was getting deestroyed, but I think it played, though I am really not sure.

3. Charles J P

Charles J P Cinematographer

CJ Paul
    I used to have problems with car CD players where the "curtains" on the CD slot would scratch the hell out of CDs. None of my DVDs have even a smudge on them though.
    ------------------
    My Website: http://www.hometheaterfanatic.com
    e-mail me: [email protected]
    My DVD Profiler
    Paradigm Lover

4. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    The main board went out of my Sony MDP-333, CD/LD player and the laser assembly went bezerk and dug a canal in a Laserdisc. Possible is the word. Best wishes!
    ------------------
    Rachael, the big disc cat! "...in a democracy it don't matter how stupid you are you stille get an equal share..."
    I survived the AFI top 100 Film Challenge! I've seen them all.

5. John Morris

John Morris Guest

My PS2 has eaten two copies of SSX. Unfortunately, the PS2 discs are uncopyable, so I wasn't able to make working copies for my family while shelving the original like I do with my computer discs. However, thankfully, most stores will allow you to return a bad disc for that same new disc. Maybe if EA and Sony get enough of these returns, they'll re-evaluate their copy protection scheme... then again probably not.
    ------------------
    Take Care,
    merc
    ----------------
    [​IMG]
    God Bless America!!!