Is it possible for a hardware defect to affect graphics?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Daniel Becker, Feb 19, 2003.

1. Daniel Becker

Daniel Becker Second Unit

I don't think so but i'm not positive? Let's say I had a PS2 with an internal hardware problem and it affected the way the game's enviornments and animation looked. Is this possible? Thanks.

Dan.b

2. Bjorn Olav Nyberg

Bjorn Olav Nyberg Supporting Actor

I would not be surprised at all, but it depends on what level of change you expect

I wouldn't expect the streets and buildings in GTA to become dirt tracks and cottages, but say colour changes, elements of objects dropping out etc, I can't see why something like that couldn't happen, although I wouldn't even begin to know how it could happen...

3. BrianB

BrianB Producer

A dirty/scratched DVD will cause GTA3 to lose buildings/textures as it streams them. Same with a bad DVD drive. I know this from personal experience :-/

4. Daniel Becker

Daniel Becker Second Unit

Well, here is where my question comes from. I just recently bought a PS2. In two of my games i've seen some odd graphic issues that i've wondered about. In ATV Offroad Fury 2 some of the track fly-bys before the race have jittery textures and some don't. Also, in Tony Hawk 4 I notice that if I turn quickly with a large view in front of me the game seems to shift some of the background in a rather odd manner.

It very well could be that both of these issues i've seen are simply flaws in the game as they were created. However, since i've heard so many horror stories about PS2 hardware flaws and problems.

Dan.b

5. JoshF

JoshF Supporting Actor

Some games also drop to a lower resolution when a lot of things are going on. I know Sly Cooper does this quite often, and it can be distracting.