is it possible ..descent projector and screen for under $2500??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Matt D K, Feb 7, 2003.

1. Matt D K

Matt D K Stunt Coordinator

Will me used strictly for movies. I don't know much about projectors or screens, just got my first RPTV and am really disappointed. Would rathe watch every day TV on old television and watch movies on screen and projector. I actually have a pretty good set-up I think for this application. veiwing distance would be about 10-11'.. looking for maybe 5-6' screen???? please educate me!!! thanks in advance.

2. James Zos

James Zos Supporting Actor

From what I can tell it is definitely possible to get a decent set up for that amount, or less, if you are willing to go for a homemade (Parkland plastics) screen. Figure about $1500 to $2000 for the projector. The Z1 is quite popular and I think goes for only $1500.

Front projectors don't seem to be discussed here very much compared to RPTVs, so you might want to check out another site with a forum specifically setup for projectors under $5000. Since we aren't supposed to link to other sites here, PM me if you want the link.

3. Doug_B

Doug_B Screenwriter

I'm not very familiar with this price range of proj. Perhaps this link would be useful and is probably what James was referencing: AVSforum

This is also useful: Projector Central

4. James Zos

James Zos Supporting Actor

The AVS under $5000 forum was the link I was going to provide, Doug. It is a nice site. Projector Central is good too for more professional reviews. I thought we weren't supposed to provide direct links to other home theater sites, but maybe I was wrong.

5. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
  6. JasonGarrett

JasonGarrett Agent

A PT-L300u plus a Da-Lite screen from Jason @AVScience will give you a great setup and stay within your budget.

Oh yeah -- I'm not the Jason at AVScience. He simply has the best prices.

7. MichaelFusick

MichaelFusick Second Unit

Look at the infocus X1.
    It is a DLP for $1499 with a spectacular picture.

8. PaulHeroy

PaulHeroy Stunt Coordinator

I would say definitely YES you can do this. Hell, I did it 1 1/2 years ago with an NEC LT150 and manual pull-down Dalite HiPower screen for about $2350. I also got a used Focus Quadscan for $500 since the LT150 has mediocre deinterlacing/scaling abilities and fewer connection options.

I'm pretty much using exactly the setup you're thinking about Mark; my seating is about 11-12' from the screen and I also use a 36" direct view tv for regular tv viewing. The only thing I'm missing is an HDTV feed. I'd like to see more sports on the projector but the image is just "ok" using the NTSC DirecTV signal. No surprise that it has serious problems when blown up to 100"!

9. mark alan

mark alan Supporting Actor

I have also done the same thing. Purchased the PLV-Z1. I ceiling mounted the projector and have a removable 6' wide screen. Behind the screen, I opened up the wall, and took some closet space to create a cubbyhole. This contains a 36" tv and some of the electronics. During the week, the screen is stored away (so my wife doesn't waste the bulb watching Oprah), and pulled out most weekends.

I spend $1495 on the projector, and about $40 making a screen and ceiling mount. Total price for everything (including the 36" tv) was much less than a good RPTV, and I have taken up exactly zero feet of floor space[​IMG] .

Now I just have to buy the high def. receiver!

10. Roger Young

Roger Young Extra

Matt,

You can certainly get a good picture for about $1500-2000. I have a Sharp XV-DW100U that I bought a couple of years ago. It is a great projector and I was using it for my home theater and was also using it as a Data projector for a class that I teach a couple of times a month. Well, I got tired of taking it off my ceiling and it was large and heavy to carry, so I found a little Epson Powerlite 51C for about $1500, it works great for my classes.

The other night I had a friend over and we were playing around with my home theater and he wanted to see the cheap projector, so I hooked up the Epson, it looked great sure the Pixels are larger on it. It is SVGA (800x600) versus XVGA (1024x768) that the Sharp reproduces. But the image looked good, it looked the best at about 50-70 inches diagonal, at 100 inches the pixels were easy to see.

My recommendation is for you to try to find a projector that has XVGA instead of SVGA. I have not seen any of the other projectors that people have recommended here, But with my experience with this little Epson, you can get a good picture for a pretty economical price.

Good luck

Roger
    "Still building, still spending, still thrilling"