Is it pointless to calibrate a non-HD RPTV?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike Carroll, Aug 23, 2001.

1. Mike Carroll

Mike Carroll Auditioning

Mar 18, 2001
    My brother just bought a new Samsung 52" RPTV, non-HD. I was going to buy him Video Essentials or AVIA for his birthday but wasn't sure if it would be pointless or not.
    I looked over his manual and there's no mention of any service menu adjustments. What are the benefits of using either VE or AVIA when you can't do a 64 point covergence or similar tweaking like you can with HDTV's? Are there any general tweaks that would make his set look better? (Aside from adjusting the torch mode it came in)
    Thanks for any advice you can pass along.
  2. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Mar 16, 2000
    Michael Chen
    They call it a service menu because it is there for service people to work on the TV when necessary. It is not a consumer menu ... hence information on accessing it is not included in the consumer literature.
    How important is calibrating a non HD set? Well, the ISF has been around well before the introduction of HDTV's ... calibrating TV's along the way.
    All TV's will benefit from a calibration regardless of the HDTV designation. As a consumer, you have to weigh the costs versus the benefits for non-HD sets.
    The most important aspects of calibration apply to all RPTV's. Focus ... Convergence ... Grayscale ... Geometry ... If these are not important to you, then a calibration is not required. [​IMG]
    Michael @ The Laser Video Experience
    [Edited last by Michael TLV on August 23, 2001 at 09:26 AM]
  3. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

Apr 15, 1999
    Even without access to the service menu, a session with AVIA or VE can make a world of difference, and is well worth the time and effort. Depending on the set, you can get maybe 80-90% of the way to the best picture it's capable of without getting into the service menu at all. Factory default settings are maybe 60%, and the torch mode can shorten the life of the crts.
    I've gotten into the service menu on a direct view Sony XBR, and was able to fix a couple of minor issues with green push and geometry.
    On my current RPTV, things are a lot more complex, what with mechanical and electronic focus and such. Since I'm already happy with it's convergence, and eyeball grayscale looks pretty decent, there's nothing in there I should be messing with myself.
    If I lived somewhere where I could get an ISF calibration done for a couple or three hundred bucks, I'd be very tempted to go ahead and get it done even though it's not an hd-ready model. Unfortunately nobody within 2 or 3 hundred miles of Fresno even knows what ISF stands for, lol.
    Steve S.
    I prefer not to push the subwoofers until they're properly run in.
    [Edited last by Steve Schaffer on August 23, 2001 at 10:50 PM]