is it okay to place my sub behind me?

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by david*mt, Aug 27, 2003.

1. david*mt

david*mt Second Unit

I really don't have room to put my sub in front of me. Would it sound okay if it were in a corner behind me?

2. Rick-S

Rick-S Agent

Thank you for posing this question. You saved me from starting a thread as I need the answer as well!!

Assuming a sub is acceptable behind the couch / rear listening position, will it interfere with the 4th, 5th or 6th channel?

3. Erik Farstad

Erik Farstad Supporting Actor

A sub located behind you should be just fine, it's called "Near Field" position...and since Subs frequency response is low...you should not have trouble with localization...[​IMG]

E

4. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

I once had to place my sub behind me in my old rec room... on occasion it sounded "disconnected" from the rest of the audio. I think this was because it was sort of tucked behind a couch, so some areas of the room had more bass than others. But, it was still better than no sub. [​IMG]

Also, you may want to experiment with the phase control switch on the sub amp (if it has one) if you are experiencing any problems. I wound up setting mine 180° out of phase with my mains and it seemed to improve the overall room response.

5. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

Behind the couch is one of Dr. Hsu's favorite locations. I would think that you would want to make sure you were not running too high a crossover, however.

80 Hz would probably be fine. 120 Hz would probably NOT be fine (too much localization).

BGL

6. Jeff Braddock

Jeff Braddock Second Unit

I recently moved my sub from behind my couch. Though bass is omnidirectional, I still could locate it (even after calibration). My crossover was set at 80Hz. Similar to Dave's experience, my bass seemed somewhat disconnected from the rest of the sound at times, though it was much much better than no sub at all. So to make a short answer long, yes it is okay to put the sub behind you, but in front is probably preferred (IMHO of course).

7. Frank Carter

Frank Carter Screenwriter

I had great results putting a sub behind the main seating position in setting up someone elses system. The crossover was set to 90hz and it didn't seem like the bass was coming from any one direction.

8. Joe Tilley

Joe Tilley Supporting Actor

I have mine in the corner right beside me. The only thing I don't like about it is if you have something playing that is really bass heavy it can sometimes seam to drown out the left surround detail, but otherwise it sounds pretty good there.

9. Lee Carbray

Lee Carbray Second Unit

10. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

Calibrated correctly you stand a very good chance of it working out well. A smaller sub fired right into the couch can also add feal and make the performance of the sub seem as though it were larger.

11. MikeLi

MikeLi Supporting Actor

I had dual subs before I got my PB2+ a couple weeks ago. Had one up front and the other to almost the rear of the couch. Worked great for 5 years. The only thing I did as the last poster stated that I kept it down to around 80Hz or you could notice some of the higher bass sounds and that make it sound kind of weird. Not weird but if I could have adjusted timing delay with the receiver like the rest of the speakers I probably could have even got rid of that dislike. Good Luck.... Actually unless you have a really bad room I have found it does not really matter that much where the sub goes as long as it is a sub and not some small thing claiming to be a Sub (ie [email protected])

12. Matt_Doug

Matt_Doug Stunt Coordinator

I agree. I also have my sub behind the listening position and it works fine. if you have cotinuous variable phase alignment and you know how to properly calculate phase you can put the sub almost anywhere.

13. Drew_W

Drew_W Screenwriter

On a simpler note than the last few posts:

If it sounds good there, then it's fine there.

Enough said.

14. Frank Carter

Frank Carter Screenwriter

I think that's the best post yet.