Is it ok to mount the satellite speaker upside down to the stand?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Ty_N, Sep 3, 2004.

1. Ty_N

Ty_N Auditioning

In particular, the Satellite of Polk RM7600 to Sanus Euro EFSatB Stands. The speaker has a hole to hang on the wall. I want to use this hole to screw into the stand. Would it damage the speaker if I place it upside down? Thanks.

2. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    No, it won’t damage it, but depending on the height of the stand it may place the tweeter lower than optimal for proper imaging. Other deciding factors would be your seating and the distance it is from the speaker.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

3. GregBe

GregBe Second Unit

Wayne,

If, for example one needed to put a bookshelf high up on a bookshelf (I know not optimal), would it be more advantageous to put the speaker upside down to get the tweeter closer to ear level. Are there any other disadvantages.

Greg

4. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Flipping the speaker on a bookshelf addresses one problem (getting the tweeter closer to ear level) but it causes another. Specifically, the tweeter will be virtually butted up against a horizontal boundary. That can cause unwanted reflections. The best way to avoid this is to pull the speaker flush with the leading edge of the shelf, or perhaps a little beyond that.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt