Is it OK to mix dipole and direct speakers in 6.1? And a couple other questions

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Frank Lee, Feb 18, 2003.

1. Frank Lee

Frank Lee Stunt Coordinator

Hi

I have been looking at getting some Paradigm speakers. I have a Yamaha 6.1 receiver. I was thinking of using the Dipole speakers (ADP-370) for the side speakers. I was unsure on what to get for the center rear. I would assume it would be best to get matching dipoles. Is this correct? The problem I run into with that is the space on the rear wall and the fact that I would have to buy two speakers to get the one I need. Therefore I have arrived at two other options...

1.I do have a older Yamaha center speaker. I thought of trying this for the rear center surround. I realize that it is not timbre matched. Would this set up sound really bad? Is it possible to get the rear surround to blend in by making sure it doesn't point directly at the listener? Maybe pointing at the floor? (The speaker will be mounted several feet behind the listening area near the ceiling)

2. My other option is to buy a smaller paradigm center speaker and mount that on the back wall.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

One more Question...Are ALL Paradigm speakers timbre matched to each other or do you need to stay within a speaker series to stay matched? I thought I read somewhere that Paradigm matches all thier speakers to each other.

Thanks

Frank

2. Adam.Gonsman

Adam.Gonsman Stunt Coordinator

I can't answer anything about how Paradigm timbre matches, but I can address the issue of a rear center.

I think you would be best to buy a timbre matched center for the rear. I plan to do exactly the same thing in my setup with a yamaha 6.1 receiver. (well, actually 8.1 receiver but that's gonna be a while before I get all those speakers). I'm running Mirage instead of Paradigm, but the case still holds.

You could use your yamaha center if money is tight, but I wouldn't make it a long term solution.

3. Frank Lee

Thanks Adam,

Anyone else want to weigh in?

4. Mike_Gr

Mike_Gr Stunt Coordinator

Its really a matter of your own preference. Some prefer to use the same speaker for the center rear while some prefer to use a direct radiating speaker for the center rear. If you are considering using a direct radiating speaker for the center rear, you can use a bookshelf speaker as well.

Personally, if I were going to use a direct radiating speaker for the center rear, I would not consider using a center channel speaker. I would use a bookshelf from the same manufacturer in the same series. Howerver, that is just my opinion. Hopefully, others will have more input for you.

5. Frank Lee

thanks for the input

6. Mike OConnell

Mike OConnell Second Unit

Mike
    Frank:

Paradigm timbre match - the best match will be staying with the same series speakers in the Paradigm line with the same size drivers.

Rear center - I use Reference ADP's for the surrounds and in-ceiling SA-10R for the rear - I think it works great.

I would recommend giving the old Yamaha center speaker a try in the rear center and see how it sounds! If it sounds just fine to you that keeps your costs down. It might sound better with another type of speaker, but give it a try.

In your set-up I think a center speaker would be a great solution - the only thing I would warn against is using a speaker with a rear port (if you can avoid that) that needs to be mounted close to a wall. It will get boomy.

Good luck.

Mike

7. Frank Lee

Heh guys.

Thanks for the info. I think I will give my old Yamaha a try first and go from there. If I'm lucky it will sound great. If not, I'll go for the center speaker approach. It would fit the best size wise.

Thanks again.

Frank