Is it ok to mix connection wire brands? In this case bluejean with bettercables?

Discussion in 'Accessories, Cables, and Remotes' started by Todd smith, Sep 13, 2004.

1. Todd smith

Todd smith Supporting Actor

Probably a stupid question, but can I safely mix different brands of connection wires? I want to buy bluejean component cable and bettercables rca cables for dvd-A and sacd. Any problem or performance issues with doing this or do I need to go with all one brand?

2. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Not a problem whatsoever.

3. Bob_M

Bob_M Stunt Coordinator

>Probably a stupid question, but can I safely mix different brands of connection wires?<
    Just curious, why not get it all from Blue Jean?

4. Ken Chui

Ken Chui Supporting Actor

I was wondering the same thing as well. Not to take away anything from BetterCables (as they're highly regarded), but BJC does offer an RCA cable for substantially less.

Some of us are sticklers for brand uniformity, but pursuing this can be a costly venture. I mix 'n match my cables and am satisfied with my results.

5. Todd smith

As far as video goes, as long as I have really good component cables I will be satisfied (not really a videophile). In this case the BJ's seem great for me. However, for audio I want the best I can afford. Is there a better rca cable for the money than the better cables? I actually need 13 cables (6 pair+1single) for my dvd-A/sacd hookup and to hook my amp to my pre/pro. I am under the impression that cables do make a difference, but am I getting suckered on the bettercables or are they worth the money? Have not bought anything yet so I am still open to suggestions.

6. Mike Fassler

Mike Fassler Supporting Actor

its unlikely you will tell much difference at all.

7. Robert_Dufresne

Robert_Dufresne Stunt Coordinator

Yes Todd you are being suckered into spending more money than you have to. Like Mike said,

8. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Cables do have a small influence on the sound similar to the way the glass makes a difference in the experience of drinking wine.

It would be very hard to quantify if a $18 wine glass gives a better experience than a $24 wine glass. In this same fashion, it's hard to judge if the BetterCables product changes the experience better/worse than the BlueJeans product.

Both products are very good and compared to some retail brands - a great value. Both companies have a good reputation around here for standing behind their product and both (last time I looked) have a good return policy.

But it's a Coke vs Pepsi type of recommendation you are asking for.

I have a suggestion for you:

Order 1 pair of audio cables from each company. Spend a happy afternoon with 1 speaker going back and forth. (Sounds silly - not really. A single sound source will remove a lot of variables involved with a multi-channel system). My guess is you will make a decision based on appearance/build quality as much as anything else. (In listening tests where the audience got to see the cables, the thicker one almost always sounds better.) Make your "coke vs pepsi" decision with a sample of each. Then return one and order the other 6 cables from the vendor you prefer.

This way - you get the best cable for Your system, your music, your taste. It really is the best way to decide.

9. Todd smith

Thanks all. I like the idea of trying out one of each as this will satisfy my curiosity and then order the rest of the cable I liked best. Thanks again.