Is it OK to have down-firing sub on Carpet?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tommy T., Jan 9, 2002.

1. Tommy T.

Tommy T. Extra

Bear w/me here as I'm almost brand-new here. I have a b2nd system in my finished 1/2 basement which is carpeted. I have a Yamaha HTR-5450 reciver. I just have to add a sub for true 5.1. I was going to go with either the JBL PB10 or the 10" Sony. I'm leaning towards the PB10, but I'm concerned because it fires down. Any thoughts or advice... thanks

Tom

2. Mark Austin

Mark Austin Supporting Actor

A cheap concrete slab under the sub from The Home Depot worked wonders for my down firing sub. I think it cost all of $3.00.

3. Bob Christensen

Bob Christensen Stunt Coordinator

You can go out to Home Depot or someplace and buy a cheap end table top (may be called something similar but different) made of particle board for a couple bucks and put your down-firing sub on that. A glob of blue tack under each leg will keep it from jumping. If it works out well, you can always screw it to the floor through the carpet.

4. Pete_w

Pete_w Agent

Just a quick newbie question...Why is it bad to have a down-firing sub on carpet...mine is and will I notice a big diff by following above sugg. Thanks

5. Thomas_Berg

Thomas_Berg Screenwriter

Thomas
    i'm guessing the obvious: carpet absorbs sound so you wont get the dispersal effects nearly as well without something hard under the driver. that's also why you should have your sub in a corner, so it can use the hard walls to disperse the sound throughout the room better.

6. Pete_w

Pete_w Agent

Makes sense....thanks.

7. Lucien

Lucien Auditioning

I have fried a downfiring sub that was sitting on the carpet too...just a thought!

8. Tommy T.

Tommy T. Extra

thanks for the comments everyone. Seems if I go with the JBL, I need to get a slab or something similiar underneath the sub. Makes me kinda think I should go with the front firing Sony, even though I was leaning towards the JBL.

Tough decision & I'm torn.

Tom

9. SamRoza

SamRoza Stunt Coordinator

Here's the real question Tommy...

Do you want to go with the better component? or would you rather go with the luxury of not having to spend 20 minutes getting something stiff under your subwoofer?

If the former, Buy the JBL and a piece of board. If The latter, go with the Sony.

Sam

10. JerryW

JerryW Supporting Actor

Better? If you stuff the Sony it will sound as good or better than the JBL PB10 (much better for HT and about the same w/ music), IMO. I know, I've had them both in my living room and tested them. Yes, the JBL PB12 is better than the Sony, but it's also quite a bit more.

It's up to you... spend $149 for the Sony and $2 for pillow batting, or spend more for the JBL. Again, IMO, you'd be spending more for less.

11. Andy Anderson

Andy Anderson Second Unit

Hmm. I've not heard of this before. I have a downward-firing KSW-12. Maybe I'll give this a try--is it that big of an improvement? (I suppose it's a good improvement/cost ratio, eh?)

Andy

12. JerryW

JerryW Supporting Actor

I don't know about the Klipsch, I've only worked with the Sony.

A couple of us here on HTF experimented with `WM40 a while back and found that if you change the volume of the enclosure (the stuffing makes it "look" like a bigger box as far as the driver is concerned) the Sony tightened up a great deal and it's lowend improved a lot as well. I ended up using about 16oz of stuffing (quite a bit of stuffing), but the results were impressive. Sounded similar to a PDR-12 in tone and extension, but didn't quite have the output.

I even tried plugging the port, but it really hurt it's extension making it pretty useless