What's new

Is it ok to give used dvd's for christmas gifts? (1 Viewer)

Sean Conklin

Screenwriter
Some people are probably funny about that. I can't answer that.
What I can answer with certainty is that I would be very happy to get a used DVD as long as it was in excellent shape. I mean you cant give a beat up used DVD.
So if it's in good shape I would be very happy to receive it.
And hopefully in it's OAR!;)

Mark Philp

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark
I agree that some people might be offended at getting a "used" gift. However, I've been giving "pre-owned" videos for years, usually something my friends want but may no longer be available. The gifts have always been gratefully received. As for me, from time-to-time, I buy used DVDs, for myself, so I would be glad to get them as a gift. I guess those who would complain about such a gift have forgetten the saying "it is better to give than receive".

Have a Merry Christmas!

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
You had better know the person pretty well to give a used gift.
Personally I'd rather a new one, but if it's two used vs. one new I'd go for it. Hopefully you've got good intentions behind this decision and are not just trying to give away that which you don't want anymore. ;)

Scott W.

Second Unit
Personally, I'd hate it. That's so cheasy. But I guess the prices of DVD's these days are so hefty, that buying them used is a neccesity for some :frowning:. Whatever.
Scott

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
I wouldn't. The only time I think it'd be acceptable is if it's something out of print and the only way to obtain it would be used. Otherwise, it looks like you grabbed a DVD off you shelf ten minutes before giving the present, and therefore appears pretty thoughtless. It doesn't matter if you did or not, it's just how it appears.

I gave someone a 'used book' once but it was a first edition 'Gone With the Wind' and was pretty pricey. She didn't mind much as she wound up marrying me.

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
No, I think that's tacky. Gifts should be new, unless it's a sentimental heirloom or something.

Todd Hochard

Senior HTF Member
What a bunch of spoiled consumers.
A gift should be given sincerely, and the recipient should accept it graciously. If that's the case, and they don't like it, then stop giving them gifts.
Now, if you're just being lazy, then I take that back.:)
Todd

Jon_B

Screenwriter
I agree with Chad R, probably only if it's a rare, impossible to find dvd. I don't know if something like that exists?

Jon

Bill Balcziak

Supporting Actor
It's probably worth asking why you would give a used DVD as opposed to a new one. Are you just cheap and trying to save a few bucks by going used instead of new? That would be incredibly tacky. Or are you just unloading old, unwatched DVDs from your own collection? Even tackier. Do the recipients prefer used DVDs? That would be hard to believe.

Tell us why you are considering doing this.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
As someone above mentioned, I see nothing wrong with giving a used dvd, nothing at all. If it's a movie someone you know want's, then why should he/she care if it's new or used, they got the movie, what's the difference? And hey, if he/she says to you after recieving it "Oh man, you bought this USED!?", then he/she must be a pretty spoiled person then.
In fact, EVERYTHING I give for X-mas is used, socks, underwear, everything!

Sean Conklin

Screenwriter
In fact, EVERYTHING I give for X-mas is used, socks, underwear, everything!
:D
John, I bet your relatives have specified that they do not need any clothing for Christmas.
But I am tacky enough to, if it were to happen, accept a used DVD(in good shape) with cheer!
I actually prefer giving than receiving though(about 51/49 respectively ;) ). So for me accepting a used DVD would be way more fun than underwear!

Brian Lawrence

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
If the disc in in nice condition, then what the hell is the differance? Unless the person you are buying the disc for happens to have some sort of sick & twisted Shrink Wrap Fetish. If anything you are saving them the hassel of removing those damn security stickers.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Sean, now that's a nice sentiment for this time of year. It brings to mind the word's of a wise man, Jerry Seinfeld, he said...
"Now see that's nice, that's what the holiday's are all about, people being helped by people...other than me.":D :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks