Is it ok to Biamp front Speakers with another RECEIVER???

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by EricTang, Feb 12, 2003.

1. EricTang

EricTang Agent

Hi, I am just wondering what happens if you Biamp the front speakers with 2 Different RECEIVERS (not separate amps). Something like this: Receiver#1: Speaker set A (both front L/R speakers) connects to the top binding posts of front speaker L/R with speaker wires. Receiver #1 again: From Speaker set B (both L/R)PREOUT to Receiver #2, then connect the bottom binding posts of the L/F front speakers to Receiver #2.

I dont know would something like this work?? Any advise before I do this with my old receiver??

2. Brian Fellmeth

Brian Fellmeth Supporting Actor

Sounds like a bad idea to me

3. JeremyFr

JeremyFr Supporting Actor

I wouldn't recommend it either.

4. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
    Don't do it!

You're effectively "bridging" two amplifiers, but because they are not equal (and may carry different signals), the results could be disatrous. To your sound, to your amps and even to your speakers.

Cees

5. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter

It'll work, but it's a bad idea for a few reasons. First, different models of receivers will not respond identically to a rising volume, so it's likely that your woofer/tweeter output will not be in balance. If you leave the 2nd receiver's volume control at, say, 75%, your signal-to-noise ratio will rise as your volume drops. Depending on the receiver, this might be very audible at low volume. Also, using the bi-wire posts often bypasses the internal crossover and you're not compensating for this, so you might be asking your woofer to tweet and your tweeter to woof! Your speakers won't last long this way!

6. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    You can do it, but not the way you said here: