What's new

Is it OK if my Sub's path is obstructed? (1 Viewer)

AlexanderS

Second Unit
Sorry if this is confusing but I wasn't sure how to ask this question. Ive got the Acoustic Research HC6 setup and Im finally hooking everything up. Problem is that my only usable corner is at the far end of my room and the line of sight from the sub to my recliners will be blocked by my audio rack. Here's how it will look:

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxSub
L-Main TV R-Main AudioRack

Recliner Recliner

L-Surround R-Surround

Ive been told that having the sub in the corner is the best for acoustics but will having its path obstructed be detrimental to performance?

I can also place it on either side of my TV on the floor. Would this work better? The only problem I saw here was it would be more focused on 1 listener than the other. Of course, I don't know that bass is focuable but I think the idea holds.

bruce townley

Stunt Coordinator
You do not need line of sight for a sub. However, it has been suggested, that before you place your sub, you put it in the "prime" listening and then crawl around and see where it sounds best.

I tried it (thinking myself crazy) and believe it or not, it became VERY clear what corner the sub sounds best. I have had to turn it down on occasion, the difference is noticeable. Just my $.02

AlexanderS

Second Unit
Problem is, I live in an apartment and the left wall is the one I share with my neighbors. I didn't think that placing the sub directly against that wall would be a good idea.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
You have a big conflict Alex.

No, you dont need line-of-sight for a sub. This is because you get a LOT of the subwoofer sound from wall reflections.

You are going to bother your neighbors because.. (say it all with me) you get a LOT of the subwoofer sound from wall reflections.

Putting the sub on the opposite wall wont keep your neighbors from being disturbed.

AlexanderS

Second Unit
Well I know it going to make noise but I figured it would be less discracting to them if it wasn't on the wall we shared. So is my position diagram acceptable?

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Yes your placement is fine.

But you dont have to shove the sub into the corner. Moving the sub along the long wall can help smooth out peaks and make it a bit less-dramatic. Consider a 3/5 placement from the corner or even 1/3.

AlexanderS

Second Unit
You mean like this:

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxSub

Recliner Recliner

L-Surround R-Surround

Or like this:

xxxxxxxxxxxxSub

Recliner Recliner

L-Surround R-Surround

How about on either side of the TV next to one of the Mains. Would that work?

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
All of the positions will 'work'.

But sound-waves will reflect/interact based on the sub position in the room, distance to the walls, etc. And you actually care about what the wave patterns sound like at your listening position.

Here is 1 technique:

- Put the sub in place of the central listening position. Disconnect all other speakers and start a bass-heavy scene/track in a A->B loop. (Not something with sub-20 hz. Just something that can play for several minutes without over-heating anything).

- Crawl around on the floor behind your equipment and listen to the sound. After a few minutes of listening, you will detect that different locations sound different. Some locations have a boomy/echo quality, other positions are smoother or even dull-flat. Mark the smoother positions with tape.

- When you have 2 or 3 smooth locations marked, put the sub in the handiest one, put your chair back and enjoy.

Merry Christmass.

AlexanderS

Second Unit
You're the man Bob. I really appreciate the advice. Im going to hook it up either today or tommorow and Ill post back with how it goes. Thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks