Is it O.K to put Carol speaker wire for my 4 surrounds and Sound King for L,C,R?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Todd smith, Jun 26, 2004.

1. Todd smith

Todd smith Supporting Actor

Is it O.K. to Mix speaker wire brands? I was planning on using Carol speaker wire for my surrounds since the wire will be going in wall, and Sound King wire for my FL,FR,C speakers. Will there be ANY audible difference if I went with two different brand wires for surround and front speakers? I will be doing some multichannel audio listening so seamless soundstage is crucial.

2. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Is it O.K. to Mix speaker wire brands?
    Absolutely. Just don't make the gauge going to your rears something tiny like 28 gauge and you'll be fine..

Will there be ANY audible difference if I went with two different brand wires for surround and front speakers?
    Only if the gauge disparity is enormous as then resistance losses coupled with interaction with the speaker's impedance lead to combinations of high frequency roll offs coupled with mild equalization effects. No reason you can't do 14 or even 16 gauge to your rears and 12 up front.

I will be doing some multichannel audio listening so seamless soundstage is crucial.
    Then your choice of speakers and their proper positioning will be matters for you to consider and not the wires.

3. ScottCHI

ScottCHI Screenwriter

..............and proper calibration

4. Frank Zimkas

Frank Zimkas Supporting Actor

........and Timbre Matched Speakers!

5. ScottCHI

ScottCHI Screenwriter

hey frank

your ht page isn't public, ya know?

6. Frank Zimkas

Frank Zimkas Supporting Actor

I recently changed ISP's and MSN does not have any provisions for a true personal web site. I do have the page set up for public access, not sure why you can't see it.. The old site can still be seen here.

Sorry for the mini hi-jack.