What's new

Is it normal to turn volume to +30db for reasonably loud? (1 Viewer)

Tim_

Stunt Coordinator
I have Yamaha RX-V650 that I use for HT. For some reason that I need to turn the volume to +20db or up to be able to listen to it comfortably loud. Which is close to 3/4 turn on the nob. Is there any change in design as I never have to turn any of my other Receiver pass 1/4 to hit the same volume level. Or should I be concern?

Charlie Campisi

Screenwriter
That appears to be really high. It would to some extent depend on how you calibrated, but that would seem to be too much even for calibration. When I calibrated, I adjusted less then +/- 3 db for each speaker. I have my receiver between -20 db and -12 db most of the time and at -12 db with a bassy movie, my 10" sub can shake the walls in the master br, two stories up and on the other side of the house from my basement HT. You may want to check all your connections. Could be a grounding issue. Make sure your receiver is power off when you are fiddling with the connections.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
there really is never a time when you should have your receiver over "0". If you are turning it up that loud, your receiver is underpowered for what you are asking it to do.

Tim_

Stunt Coordinator

I tested again with a new DVD the Underworld Revolution. Its seem to be normal at -20db for reasonable loud. I think the smaller room size might have something to do with it. I was so fed up with it in my living room that I actually moved the HT system to my little home office. Its just 4 walls about 10' x 15'. I think I'll need to do more testing with it. Thanks for all the inputs.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks