What's new

is it normal not to hear it? (1 Viewer)

Ronneil Camara

Stunt Coordinator
Honestly, I don't have any idea at all.

But, I really want to get my hands wet or dirty with home theater technology. I still have a lot to learn in this field.

terence

Supporting Actor

Ok i'm about to ask something i always wanted to know, bu tnever asked.

Why is a sine wave dangerous to the voice coil and not a other forms of sound?

If a sine wave is bad for the VC, why not make a music disc with the same sweeps as a sine wave that want damage the VC?

Charlie C

Stunt Coordinator
OK RONNEIL:

In a generic explination of frequency and the motor functions of a speaker:

the # of times the cone moves in AND out per second is the frequency of what is being played. therefore, at 20 HZ, the cone is moving in and out 20 times. at 15 Hz, the cone is moving in and out 15 times. therefore 'getting slower' with the lower FR's. At 20 KHZ, the cone is moving in and out 20,000 times.

Nathan Bjork

Stunt Coordinator
I was just testing my sub before I found this thread, and I was playing a 20hz sine wave to see what db's I could get off of my SVS. Im in a 10x10 bedroom and my RS meter reads at 102db @ 20hz. I've never heard the clicking noise, so I figure my sub hasn't bottomed out. I can feel my bed shaking and my back wall is flexing like crazy, I couldn't hear anything accept the door knob shaking and my house stucture chreaking. I don't know much about db's, so is that any good? I was going to do 19hz, 18hz, 17hz, but I read that the sine waves will ruin my voice coil so Im done with that.

I just got a new JBL system in my car, and everyone says it sounds great, but I think it sounds horrible, I geuss I got spoiled with my SVS.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leif_sauce
Recent bookmarks