What's new

is it normal not to hear it? (1 Viewer)

Ronneil Camara

Stunt Coordinator
Hey guys,

I was looking at some deep bass movies at svssubwoofers.com site specifically the Star Wars 1 - Phantom Menace, http://www.svsubwoofers.com/faq_tpm.htm

It mentions there that some scene on the movie that does an extreme 10hz. I have a 20-39 PCi. Before, I downloaded the NCH Tone Generator and tried 20hz, 19hz, 18hz, and 17hz tones. Only on the 17hz that I didn't hear anything nor felt anything.

So my question is: Is it normal for my 20-39 PCi to not be able to produce that deep bass on the scene properly? If I recall correctly, in the tunnel explosion in the same movie, I heard like my sub was claking(sounds like clocking). Damn, I couldn't remember the term but I guess you know what I mean. :)

Thanks,

Neil

Charlie C

Stunt Coordinator
Ronneil, relax, how long have you had your SVS?

learn to accept and enjoy.

the clacking was your sub bottoming out. meaning that the FR it was trying to produce was most likeley below the port tuning point. meaning your sub cannot go that low.

"Only on the 17hz that I didn't hear anything nor felt anything."
meaning thats about as low as your sub can go and thats with a sine wave. true sounds do not follow the sine wave curve but have their own signature to it [just as a middle C on a piano sounds different than a middle C on a trumpet].
So were you will start to bottom out somewhat depends on the power required, the sound itself, and the design of your sub, not to mention room acoustics and whatnot.
I remember a few months ago, you were exctatic that your new SVS was LOUD and LOW, but now you are feeling it is lacking? relax. If you want to make sure you can get 10 HZ at ref, buy 8 B4+'s, and im not even sure that will do it. if upgraditis has bit you this soon after all your purchases, I want to be your HT equipment dealer :).

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Ronneil,

I agree with Charlie. It takes a fairly substantial sub to get even to 20Hz, especially if you have a large room. 10Hz, and at reference levels? Can you say “refrigerator?” That’s about the size your sub would have to be. (Come to think of it, isn't that about how big eight B4's would be? :D )

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Matthew Todd

Second Unit
I've got a 16-46PCi, and I have a hard time hearing a 15Hz tone, but it definetely registers on the SPL meter. I think when things get down that low, they become pretty hard to hear (for most of us), although you may feel them.

Matt

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

The more nauseous you get, the lower the frequency.:D Seriously, ultra-low bass (under 16 or so Hz) is something you feel, not hear.

Allen Marshall

Supporting Actor
so if your subwoofer can pull off like 110db at 16hz or more, then nobody would or should care how it is lower cause you cant hear a difference anyway?

PeterK

Supporting Actor
I was just going to say that can't you not hear frequencies below 20. But i guess you can feel them?

john michiels

Auditioning
Did you try listening from different positions in your room?
You might be listening from a null position for that specific frequency.

Anyhow: Sounds like your system is pretty darn good....enjoy it and don't get too caught up trying to demo the unrealistic condition of a pure 17hz tone.

Please don't take this as obnoxious as it sounds but....Does the fact that you are incapable of seeing ultraviolet light upset you too? Hypothetically, would you upgrade an amp to improve performance from .0005 to.0001 THD if you could not hear the difference? Upgrading equipment (spending $) is fun but I think that you might be able to find room for improvement in another area of your system.

Enjoy
John

Charlie C

Stunt Coordinator
"so if your subwoofer can pull off like 110db at 16hz or more, then nobody would or should care how it is lower cause you cant hear a difference anyway? "

110 db's at 16 HZ, your house should be shaking so much that what you actually hear is either 1) your wife/gf screaming at you to turn it down 2) all the dishes/windows/things on shelves are rattling till they fall off 3) sirens cause your neighbors thought there is a lowrider out front 4) sirens cause your neighbors think there has been an earthquake

Charlie C

Stunt Coordinator
yeah God should have done a better job designing us humans.....

Seriously, Ronneil, if your sub bottoms out alot or even more than you would like, there are a few solutions:
1) can you port your sub lower? im not familiar with your sub so I dont know where the tuning is at.
2) upgrade your sub or buy a matching one. Im sure there are ppl out there who would buy your SVS.
3) depending on room response, just turn down your sub a bit.
4) use bass shakers for anything lower than 18 Hz
5) stop watching 'guy' movies and only watch the ones without explosions ;) y'know, high waf movies

Ronneil Camara

Stunt Coordinator
Honestly, I'm very happy with my sub. All I wanted to know if it was normal for the model 20-39 PCi model to not support sounds at 17hz. I should have asked the SVS directly. Sorry guys. But definitely, I learned a lot in this thread such as not to get upset when I don't see the ultraviolet rays. :)

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member

The 20-39PCi easily digs to 17 Hz in a moderate size room. In fact at 17 Hz, it should still be at or slightly above the baseline values in the 35-80 Hz region.

If you place your hand over the port, you will feel air rushing out; the sub is definitely creating SPL at 17 Hz.

A warning - don't run sines at high volumes; they can burn out the voice coil.

The RS meter is around 11-12 dB down at 17 Hz, if you believe the correction factors listed in the 10-20 Hz bandwidth. So adjust the scale on the meter until it's reading a value, and then ADD 12 dB to the number.

And I agree with the general consensus here; trust me that the sub can easily dig to 15-16 Hz with authority in a mid-sized room, and just enjoy it. :)

Ronneil Camara

Stunt Coordinator
Hey guys,

I am correcting what I had found earlier. You guys are correct. I am able to feel the earthquake in my basement when playing 15hz on my 20-39PCi via NCH Tone Generator. That's way beyond 17hz. I noticed that everytime I decrease 1hz, the dome in the speaker moves slower. It could be trying to get more air. But yes, they aren't heard anymore, but felt. Just don't know if I could feel those in my sitting position.

I read somewhere in this forum that it's bad to play those tunes in that kind of model coz it my burn them. Any comments?

Matthew Todd

Second Unit

This may simply be that in order to play 15 Hz (what that means is 15 cycles per second) it needs to move slower than what it needs to do to play 17 Hz (17 cycles per second).

Matt

Ronneil Camara

Stunt Coordinator
Then my svs investigation proves that SVS is a real good product, they say the real truth about their sub and what they have been proud about.

I am a lucky SVS sub owner then.

I should get tangible KUDOS then from SVS. LOL ;) :emoji_thumbsup:

Charlie C

Stunt Coordinator
'I should get tangible KUDOS then from SVS'

only if you had freaked out and bought dual B4+'s. Then Im sure SVS would have sent some kudos your way :)

BTW Ronneil, do you understand WHY the 'cone' was moving slower when you decreased the HZ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks