Is it necessary to place subwoofer on the ground?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Alec guapo, Oct 7, 2002.

1. Alec guapo

Alec guapo Auditioning

Can anyone answer this question? I have small apartment and I was thinking of saving space by placing my subwoofer under my TV, which is on a steel frame cabinet. Will sound quality be worse compared to laying the sub-woofer on the floor? Any suggestions?

2. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

You don't have to put a sub on the floor. But putting a sub in a cabinet is a bad idea. Subs are very senstive to room placement and sticking one in a cabinet will have adverse affects on its' sound.

The other problem is subs are pretty much never sheilded. So if you stick it too close to your TV it will distort the image on the TV.

3. BrianWoerndle

BrianWoerndle Supporting Actor

Subs are designed to be placed on the floor. They use the floor and walls to increase output. If you lpace it off the floor, it will lose its punch. Putting it a cabinet will make it very boomy. Also, I would be worried about the vibrations in the cabinet causing rattles.

4. Alec guapo

Alec guapo Auditioning

Thanks for your replies. I guess I will be leaving it on the floor.

5. Brian OK

Brian OK Supporting Actor

Put the sub where it responds best in your given room layout. Forget the "must put in the corner" axiom, for your room will dictate the optimum position. 1/4, or 1/2 the room length position, or 1/2 width position, whatever works.

Elevating the sub even 2' up the height of a room is also an option. You must experiment. No fast rules in a room which is your own, with all it's anomolies.

BOK

6. Alec guapo

Alec guapo Auditioning

Thanks Brian, I will try and experiment. Time to move that 150 pound TV... ughh

7. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

I don't know about the rest of the ppl hear but I've heard installs with subwoofers that worked perfectly fine inside cabinets, even lifted 2 feet or more off the ground and not near corners. I've even worked with a sub 1 foot from the ceiling that also sounds fine.

If you put a sub in an enclosed area such as a cabinet, simply pack some sound dampening material all around the sub and cabinet walls such as egg crate foam or polyester. This will reduce the sound from resonating within the cabinet.

When you do not put a subwoofer in a corner, the sensitivity of the sub will simply decrease. This has no bad effects on the sound quality. An effect of not having a sub in the corner is that the room modes (standing waves) won't be fully energized. Similar to how a corner loaded sub excites standing waves the most out of all placements.

If the driver is pretty far from the TV, I don't see shielding to be too much of a problem.

Good luck