is it necessary to have XGA resolution for dvd viewing ?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by felix_suwarno, Aug 23, 2003.

1. felix_suwarno

felix_suwarno Screenwriter

i am wondering if it is worth it to purchase an XGA projector for dvd viewing.

do i need more than 1000 lumens if my room had controlled light?

please help a newbie!

thanks

2. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    No and No.

Many members here have either the Sanyo Z1 or the Panasonic L200U, L300U, Plus Piano and other projectors that do not have native XGA resolution. Mind you, the former 3 above projectors have native 16x9 aspect ratios which is a real advantage when displaying DVD programming.

If your room is light controlled then even a 300 lumen output will do the job. Keep in mind though that the specs on paper can be irrelevant in the real world. There are projectors rated at 1000 a.l. that, after calibrated and after switched to "cinema mode" put out 400 a.l. then there are other projectors rated at 750 a.l. that after all is done, put out 600 a.l.

3. felix_suwarno

thanks!

one more question. will there be a problem if i used the 16x9 projector for, say, powerpoint presentation?

4. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    If your PP presentations are 4x3, then you will have black bars on each side of the 4x3 image when displaying using a 16x9 projector and screen. Not a problem. I do not have many 4x3 DVD's but when I watch something like Eagles: Hell Freezes Over, this is what happens.

5. felix_suwarno

thanks neil, i appreciate your replies.