1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Is it my imagination or is there a sound quality difference amongst dvd players(coax)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Keir H, May 14, 2002.

1. Keir H

Keir H Second Unit

I am in the process of trying to see whether fixing my JVC 723GD would be a good idea or should I just get a new player. I bought a new JVC S500(?) player last night because I am sick of the freezing I get from the 723 20 min. into the movie. I set it up and notice that first thing is that the display is way too bright. I have not found a dimmer switch, but in my place it glows everything around it and the color is not too pleasing. Anyway, I have noticed that sound tracks and cd's don't quite have the same detail as the 723 does. I cannot explain it but it just "seems" a bit more congested and and missing fine details I have gotten used to with the 723. I thought that with digital out (coax or toslink) that the sound should be the same since it's just a digital feed correct? I put the 723 back on and I used same level matching going back and forth and it is different. That bugs me, so has anyone experience sound differences amongst similarly priced dvd players? I am wainting for the RP62 but in the mean time I'd like the best out there for about the same price. RP56 maybe or should I look for the older JVC players (65,70,75 ect.)? Does anyone have this player? Review? thanks

2. Andrew_Ballew

Andrew_Ballew Second Unit

Transports should sound the same. You are just feeding your receiver's DAC's with a stream of data.

BUT-

Unfortunately, we live in an imperfect world, and the reality is DVD/CD players used as transports do sound different. As to why, I am not an expert, but a lot of it has to do with what is called "jitter". There are better experts on this subject than myself- maybe someone with more knowledge will chime in.

Andrew B.

p.s.- for what it is worth the older JVC players (65, 75, etc.) were said to have better audio quality than the 723, but I believe this applied only to the players' internal DAC's.