Is it my imagination or is there a sound quality difference amongst dvd players(coax)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Keir H, May 14, 2002.

1. Keir H

Keir H Second Unit

I am in the process of trying to see whether fixing my JVC 723GD would be a good idea or should I just get a new player. I bought a new JVC S500(?) player last night because I am sick of the freezing I get from the 723 20 min. into the movie. I set it up and notice that first thing is that the display is way too bright. I have not found a dimmer switch, but in my place it glows everything around it and the color is not too pleasing. Anyway, I have noticed that sound tracks and cd's don't quite have the same detail as the 723 does. I cannot explain it but it just "seems" a bit more congested and and missing fine details I have gotten used to with the 723. I thought that with digital out (coax or toslink) that the sound should be the same since it's just a digital feed correct? I put the 723 back on and I used same level matching going back and forth and it is different. That bugs me, so has anyone experience sound differences amongst similarly priced dvd players? I am wainting for the RP62 but in the mean time I'd like the best out there for about the same price. RP56 maybe or should I look for the older JVC players (65,70,75 ect.)? Does anyone have this player? Review? thanks

2. Andrew_Ballew

Andrew_Ballew Second Unit

Transports should sound the same. You are just feeding your receiver's DAC's with a stream of data.

BUT-

Unfortunately, we live in an imperfect world, and the reality is DVD/CD players used as transports do sound different. As to why, I am not an expert, but a lot of it has to do with what is called "jitter". There are better experts on this subject than myself- maybe someone with more knowledge will chime in.

Andrew B.

p.s.- for what it is worth the older JVC players (65, 75, etc.) were said to have better audio quality than the 723, but I believe this applied only to the players' internal DAC's.