Is it me or what?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by scott_tinari, Jan 10, 2002.

1. scott_tinari

scott_tinari Stunt Coordinator

I usually keep the Dynamic Range function on MAX, lastnight I turned it off and I think it sounded better. Does it sound better when the Dynamic Range is off. Plus I dont have to turm my reciever louder when it is off. Should I keep it off or keep it on MAX. Thanks

2. John Morris

John Morris Guest

Scott: If I understand correctly, you are using the Dynamic Range "limiter" which is like other unit's Night Mode. This actually limits the volume peaks of the movie so that, for example, explosions don't wake up the neighbors yet you can still hear the dialogue. Of course, setting this to off and adjusting the volume accordingly will give you a much better audio playback which allows you to year the variations in volumes that the director intended. In other words, only use the Dynamic Range Limiter when you don't want to wake the baby. All other times, I kept mine OFF.

3. scott_tinari

scott_tinari Stunt Coordinator

I thought, when you have the Dynamic Range to MAX, its better that way, its supposed to inhance the explosions. SO your telling me to keep the DR OFF at all times, except and night

4. Robert Barker

Robert Barker Stunt Coordinator

Yep

Watch some scene of an action movie w/ it on, then off. Set your receiver to what sounds best to you. I'm 99.9% sure you will want it off.

Robert Barker

Austin TX

5. Sheldon C

Sheldon C Second Unit

Sounds like some of you have a on off switch and others (myself included) have a choice of low, normal, and max. Whatever setting makes the loud effects loudest is the way to go, unless you could be bothering others.

6. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    In my Onkyo, the "Late Night" setting varies from "Off" to "Max", where max corresponds to the greatest volume clamping. Great for night viewing. Not as much fun though.
    Like the others, I suggest turning your Dynamic Range thingy to Off. If you notice a broader range of volumes, then this is the way to normally listen. [​IMG]

7. RyanDinan

RyanDinan Stunt Coordinator

Scott,
    You're using dynamic range compression, which basically squeezes the upper and lower limits in more towards the middle-range.
    This will decrease the amount of sound level variation between someone talking, and a boomy explostion (i.e, the person will appear to be talking louder in relationship to the explosion than with Dynamic Range off).
    Since everything is squeezed into a tighter range, you won't need to turn up the volume to hear whispers, nor frantically turn down the volume when an sudden explosion rattles the house.
    Dynamic range compression may make things easier to listen to, but, you won't be experiencing the full range between sounds, and therefor, "miss out" on what the director of the movie intended.
    However, I do find the dynamic range on allot of movies to be too much - especially if you live in an apartment [​IMG]
    In order to make out whispers, you have to have that sucker cranked - But as soon as something loud happens, you can lose your bowels [​IMG]! Too much! And it pisses my wife off since she does the laundry :p)
    -Ryan Dinan