Is it me or is this one of the goofiest examples of "a little knowledge is a..."

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
http://www.amazon.com/gp/discussionb...x1WG68D7W9LKES
"...You can have an ANALOG based stereo and still buy a digital chord from RADIO SHACK to up grade your sound if your stereo is compatible with that..."

digital "chords"..?

Older stereo owners can't hear all the remastered CD goodness..?
A digital CD player? Shoot, means my old one is analog?!?!?

:0

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member
Definitely. (my cd player is usually used in analogue mode-- I think the DAC is slightly better, but mostly for convenience's sake.)

The remasters are often better because the ADC used to convert the analogue tape has improved.

Besides, DDD is old hat. The best recordings, according to latest (Sony) marketing literature, come from 30 ips analogue tape digitized into DSD.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Isn't he talking about digital outs vs. analog outs on CD players? Optical outs sound much better since there is no Digital -> Analog conversion.Well, the confusion lies in the fact that CD's are digital (which isn't what he's talking about). It's the output that determines whether you are sending a digital signal or an analog signal to your receiver and that does make a big difference.

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member
A couple of things:

Many stereo setups use a subwoofer + satellites, rather than full range speakers. It's easiest to implement the crossover circuitry using digital logic, although a very few preamplifiers have analogue circuitry. A digital connection eliminates the possibility of dac-adc-dac related noise. Some universal players have crossover circuitry but it's less than flexible.

On the other hand, some CD players have great dacs, and, from an engineering standpoint, placing a DAC on top of a warm power amplifier might not be such a great idea.

Just doing my part to add to the noise...

and then there's the whole "compression" thing.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NC_Mike