Is it me,or is Cyberlink (makers of PowerDVD) really greedy?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ash Williams, Nov 24, 2001.

1. Ash Williams

Ash Williams Second Unit

Cyberlink just released PowerDVD XP 4.0 in two versions, Standard and Deluxe. Now, the only difference between the two is that the Deluxe version contains the ablity to pass on DTS and some format called SRS TruSurround XT. Yet there is a $20 dollar difference between the two (Deluxe-$69.50 and Standard $49.50). And there is the various upgrade packages to upgrade from PowerDVD 3.0 to 4.0 ranging from $20-40. And if you have the 2-channel version of 3.0 and want to make it multichannel it will cost you $10 dollars per multichannel format. This mite not seem too expenseive but when I consider that I paid $50 for version 3.0 when it came out and now when I want to upgrade to latest version I have to pay $40 bucks more?!? So I am basicly paying $90 to watch movies on my PC. Now I know I don't have to buy it and I could use the Windows DVD player for free, but, like most of you, I want the best presentation available. I know I sound cheap (and I am [​IMG]) but that is just too much to pay. Oh yeah, one more thing, if you want to download the patch to make your PowerDVD 3.0 fully compatable with Windows XP, you have to sign up to get SPAMED. Just my little gripe for the day. [​IMG]

2. Kimmo Jaskari

Kimmo Jaskari Screenwriter

Stupid marketing on their part. They should just have called them "standard" and "light" versions (or "lite" or "value edition"... maybe "home edition"?)
    [​IMG]