What's new

Is it me or does dd have better bass-sounds than dts? (1 Viewer)

Leon Liew

Stunt Coordinator
I have the Onkyo TDx676 and the manual recommends that
the following adjustment for the LFE channel be set for
Dolby Digital LFE @ - 0 db while DTS LFE @ + 10 db.
I made comparisons between the LOTR EE two audio tracks
and found that I need to crank up the volume of the DTS
track(I use the Absolute voulme 0 - 80 reference) from
24 for DD track to 27 for DTS to really hear the same bass
level from the proloque scene of Sauron's demise.
Though the DTS track offered clear spatial for the surrounds
but it's bass management is slightly weak and I gather that
this is due to the high bitrate where by resulting for more
clear and defined sound. This is for the LOTR EE DVD.
For U571 I made a A/B comparison at the same volume reference of 30,both tracks shared the same bass level
with the DTS more defined in the surrounds and the whiplash
sound of the cables outside the submarine after each explosion more distinctive. I used Chapter 15 'Dept Charged'
for the above comparison.
It's really up to individual taste. Both formats have their
own merits and flaws. I am more of a bass lover but on the
other hand I also love clear and defined sound from DVDs and
this is to ME is what HT is all about !
I am NUETRAL
:)

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Conversely, if you only had DD on the disc, you could use the highest possible DD bitrate.
That's incorrect, Richard. Nearly all dual-format titles use the highest bitrate available on DVD for DD 5.1: 448Kbps. Indeed, most DD 5.1 tracks released today use that bitrate, which is the highest DD bitrate officially approved for all playback equipment (and, BTW, is app. 140% of the bitrate used in theatrical DD).

M.

JohnDG

Stunt Coordinator
I'm surprised to hear this opinion. The LFE channel on the Expanded Edition of FOTR is far more defined. I found the highly-praised low end on the theatrical cut DVD to be loose and sloppy.
Not only more defined, but re-mixed. For example, the Cave Troll footsteps are stronger on DTS than on the DD.

There was extensive discussion on this on a "EE problems" thread over in the Media section of this forum.

jdg

Bart_R

Stunt Coordinator
Well, yesterday I had a 'fotr: ee'-session with a couple of friends, and since I had not had time yet to extensively compare the dts and dd-tracks, I decided to go for the dd-one, mostly based on the fact that you can really feel the sauron-implosion rolling through the room and that always brings a smile to my face.

I started out with the bass-volume on my sub (sony sa-wm40) at almost half way. Since the bass was sometimes too much, I turned the bass level down throughout the movie, until at the end at was almost at about 25%. Although most bass was really cool, I have a feeling that it was a bit out of whack.

(I also gradually kept on turning the main volume a little higher and found the center speaker to not be loud enough [of course I could adjust the db of that particular speaker, bit I didn't want to pause the movie{-experience} for that. Silly, I know...])

So next time, I'll think I'll try the dts-track instead, with a little boosting of the bass-level on my sub, or the db on the receiver. So that I'll hopefully get a better soundmix overall, with the same bass-feeling (but a bit more defined).

Not that I'm really complaining, though. We had a lot of fun during the movie (partly thanks to my occasional fine-tuning during the movie), and everybody was complimenting my ht-sound (and none had heard my new sub yet). Saying it sounds awesome or that they were getting goosebumps [and that's the kind of reaction I'm going for].

However, a more constant and overall great quality would be better for next time.

Gonna compare some other dts/dd-tracks tomorrow. u571 and t2 most likely. (and prep mentally for TTT of course... can't wait!!!! Gollem & Helm's Deep: what else do you need to know?)

Bart.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks