Is it just me

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jerry AZ, Dec 26, 2001.

1. Jerry AZ

Jerry AZ Stunt Coordinator

or does anybody else have a fit when the end credits are cut off or mashed down into a postage stamp size screen so previews for the next rpogram can be shown? [​IMG]
    I watched the SciFi channel widescreen showing of Blade Runner the other night at my brothers house, and had my usual fit & rant when they F$#$#d up the end credits! My brother and sister in law looked at me like I was nuts. [​IMG]
    Is it just me?

2. Gord Lacey

Gord Lacey Cinematographer

Jerry, you might get more responses if you posted this over in the TV area. This area is for talking about Software (DVDs, LDs...)

Gord

3. Jerry AZ

Sorry about that. :b I don't see an option to delete this. Oh well.

4. Sean Conklin

Sean Conklin Screenwriter

On the bright side, at least you got to see the movie in Widescreen! That's better than most TV stations will give you.

5. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer

It's not just you. It's OK if the credits are formatted to be shown on a sliver of the screen. But it's really annoying to have them squished so that you can't read them. Not only that, but for movies they run them at hyperspeed. And with the promo, you can't hear the music.

It's just one of the many indignities of watching TV. Not just the increasingly gaudy station bugs, but the recent practice of telling you what you're watching, and what's on next.

//Ken

6. JasenP

JasenP Screenwriter

Jasen
    I think it is very disrespectful to the cast and crew when the credits are modified. It's just as bad when radio DJ's talk over the music (I 'm not talking about a music bed, but the regular songs.)

I find it very difficult to watch films on TV anymore. Besides the credits thing, the logo bug in the corner, the commericial interruption, Pan and Scan... UGGHHH!!

But I digress...

7. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

Does anyone remember when they spoofed this in the Simpsons? They were watching some TV movie about Noah's arc, and at the end, God says, "Noah, the meaning of life is..." and then a promo for the news cuts him off and squishes the credits.

8. MikeAW

MikeAW Second Unit

TV is a business and it's not meant to provide entertainment, just space between the commercials !

9. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

MikeAW, alas, is too close for comfort.

Another annoyance is when the producers themselves opt to run the credits so fast that it is impossible to read them.

But what Jerry talks about is still a disgrace; commercial television (whether cable or OTA) is a cesspool of endless promotion; when there are no commercials, the networks are constantly promoting themselves.

10. Chad R

Chad R Cinematographer

Chad Rouch
    Anyone seen the credits for 'Titanic' on TV? They nicely reformat them to the side of the screen like all NBC shows (making room for the new promo) but after the main credits they literally turn them on to warp speed condensing about 8 minutes of movie credits to 30 seconds.

This is EXTREMELY disrespectful to the crew.

11. MickeS

MickeS Producer

12. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

You folks have to remember that HT freaks are in the very small minority of people who are interested in the credits. Most don't care. I don't care.

And as for networks promoting and advertising, well, what do expect? They have to make money somehow.

What really sucks is that the whole purpose of advertising on TV is so that we don't have to pay for it, yet we still pay for cable. So in the end, we are still paying money (even though that money doesn't go to the networks).

The other thing that bothers me is that we now have to sit through commercials at movie theaters. This is different: we are paying the theater money to see the movie.

I heard on the radio this morning that some long distance service provider in Europe plans on offering free long distance, but every couple of minutes, a commercial would interrupt the conversation.

How about the world series, where they changed the camera angle so that we could see ads for Ally-freakin'-McBeal?

One day, they're going to replace the sun with a giant billboard for Survivor part 34.

13. Peter M Fitzgerald

Peter M Fitzgerald Screenwriter

Peter Fitzgerald

14. Craig_T

Craig_T Second Unit

I hate this practice too but nothing, and I mean nothing NOTHING, NOTHING, NOTHING, *NOTHING* is as annnoying as that goddamn pointless, useless, stupid black bar from hell that cable channel TNN uses along the bottom of the screen for practically every show. I'd like to meet the idiot that came up with this great idea and smash him in the face with a baseball bat.

15. Jerry AZ

16. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

When I was putting together a Batman/Superman Animated Crossovers VCD (back when DVD releases of said shows seemed a non-possibility), I actually re-created the shows credits by freeze-framing each screen, because I didn't want screwy credits on something I'd be watching again and again. Some of the credits were so fuzzy due to being squashed and poor resolution, I had to guestimate some names.[​IMG]

17. Jon_B

Jon_B Screenwriter

It's too bad that they do this. I've noticed that Starz and HBO often have a bar pop up stating what you've just watched and telling what's up next. [​IMG]
    Jon