Is it just me or......????

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Jamie Middleton, Aug 13, 2005.

1. Jamie Middleton

Jamie Middleton Stunt Coordinator

Is it just me or is alot of television series you never dreamed to be released on dvd being brought out? I mean come on people here we get on this site begging for timeless classics to be released and what is this? I went to the tvshowsondvd website and Extreme Makeover Home Edition is getting a dvd release? WHOA! I mean I realize the show has fans, I truely do, and I am very happy for them that this is being released....but why is it that this show can get released and here we are agonizing over shows that should have already hit the shelves. I have never been a fan of reality television. I feel that I have enough reality in my own life. Does this get to anyone else or is it just me? I have started petitions, sent letters, even tried to email people to get some shows attention so they might be released someday and here we are still waiting for shows such as Growing Pains. (as most of you know I am probably the biggest "Jesse" fan on this page so I wont bring up that show when I am mentioning "timeless classics" haha.) But even so, I would think that a show starring someone such as Christina Applegate would be released far sooner than Extreme Makeover Home Edition. Whats next? Dateline season sets?

2. AnthonyC

AnthonyC Cinematographer

I'm a huge Survivor fan and was initially surprised when it came out. But then if you check out the Survivor forums on the net, you can see that it's got a cult fanbase that's just as obsessive as Star Trek or Simpsons fans.

Basically, it's probably easier to release a reality TV show on DVD and bring in a few cast members to do commmentary or interviews, than it is to get together some actual actors who still have projects, and to get them to do bonus features.

3. Scott_F_S

Scott_F_S Second Unit

Growing Pains? Timeless classic?

4. Jamie Middleton

YES !!!!Growing Pains is a Timeless classic for me. [​IMG] The show was an icon for people of my generation. I mean heck, you don't get seven seasons on a major network for nothing.

5. Kyle McKnight

Kyle McKnight Cinematographer

Because shows are produced now knowing they'll put them out on DVD...so you get more recent stuff instead of the "classics"...that's how I see it.

6. Chris_kirk

Chris_kirk Extra

I would think there's a limited amount of time the public would be interested in the reality programs. Those responsible for putting them on dvd probably think they need to be released while interest is still high - getting the most dollar out of them possible.

7. Kenny Neal

Kenny Neal Stunt Coordinator

Licensing and rights-ownership, which can be complicated for shows produced before the DVD boom-- sometimes that alone can keep a popular show in the vaults (*cough*Batman).

But bottom line, studios release what they think will make a profit, regardless of the quality of the content. Some releases of smaller cult shows will be designed to turn a profit with smaller sales numbers. Releases of bigger shows may need bigger number to recoup the investment, especially if a lot was spent on extras and publicity.

Timing is key too-- like previous posters mentioned, some shows need a "strike while the iron is hot" approach for a release to make financial sense. And then there's market saturation and retail shelf space... will the release get noticed without spending gobs of money in publicity?

Write some letters to the studios (real letters, not just email or phone calls)-- make enough noise and demonstrate enough of a fan base willing to buy and the shows you want will stand a better chance (assuming what I said in the first paragraph doesn't muck it up).

Remember to most studio execs, it's just a business...

8. Jamie Middleton

Yeah, I guess it all comes down to the all-mighty dollar. Even though I think that in the long run studios would do better to release scripted television series....

9. Elena S

Elena S Supporting Actor

It really, really, really, REALLY bugs me, too, especially when these shows have just aired and anyone could have taped or Tivoed them. And how many people actually watch reality shows over and over again? I mean, once the suspense is over -- which is the appeal of some of them -- how can it be interesting anymore? How many times would you want to watch the same person get kicked off the island?

I guess I'm upset because there are many shows that haven't aired for years and I just ache to see them again, but probably never will. And I'm bitter because I had no means to record them back then.

10. AnthonyC

AnthonyC Cinematographer

But can't you say the same thing about scripted shows? If you know all the jokes on The Simpsons, you can still be amused by it.

I know a lot of people hate to admit it, but reality shows have an audience and a fanbase. True, they do lose something when you know what happens but the same goes for scripted shows. Dallas fans know who shot J.R. but they'll still buy the DVD set.

Point is, we all know who won the first season of Survivor, but it's still entertaining to watch all the personalities that you've forgotten about over the years. If you ask me, there's no difference between rewatching a reality show than rewatching any other show.

11. Stephen Wight

Stephen Wight Second Unit

Stephen
    I'm with you Jamie.I think classic shows should be released before the latest teenie bopper show du jours like Nick & Jessica and Britney & Kevin.In the case of the latter I don't think any episodes have aired yet,and it's coming on dvd pretty soon,while the classics,that I grew up with,are rusting in the vault of some studio exec's office.Talk about shameful.

12. AnthonyC

AnthonyC Cinematographer

Here's an article (that quotes Gord) on why reality shows can be good DVD releases.

13. TimothyO

TimothyO Agent

I have watched every single season of Survivor and I can't get enough. I have bought all of the seasons released so far and will continue to buy the rest. I pretty much can tell you the boot order of every season but this does not take an inch away from the show. There is so much that goes in behind the decision that it's still as drama filled as the first time you watched it.

Same goes for Amazing Race. Too bad Big Brother hasn't released more seasons.

14. Mikel_Cooperman

Mikel_Cooperman Producer

Mikey

Come on, Show me that smile again. [​IMG]

15. Jamie Middleton

Dont waste another minute on your cryin'. [​IMG]

16. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

No need for this to be released at all, ever. Hopefully it'll just be a quiet thing that disappears off store shelves within weeks.

Anyone looking to get this thing back in the public eye again can just go die, as far as I'm concerned. [​IMG]

17. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

You're just mad because you have the same last name as the family on Growing Pains. And that, depending on how old you were at the time, was probably an absolute nightmare[​IMG]

18. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

You won't believe this, but I heard a GP rumor... [​IMG]

19. TimothyO

TimothyO Agent

Do tell!

20. Jamie Middleton

Spill dave! lol