Is it just me, or is there a disturbing trend going on recently?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by NickSo, Jan 16, 2002.

1. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Is it just me, or is there a 'wave' of new members signing up recently that do not, how can i say, keep up the 'formal' atmosphere of the HTF (no after hours doesnt count! [​IMG] )? Or has it always been like this but i just didnt realize it?
    Recently there was a member or two in the Video Games section(s) (has since stopped however, fortuneately), and one in the MOVIES section (Regarding Jackie Chan) and just before i read one of the threads in POLLS which was just downright unnacceptable.
    Please tell me its just me...

2. Rain

Rain Producer

I suspect it's always been that way and the people who really go way off the mark get booted and their posts are deleted before we even notice it.
    You may recall recently there was a fellow who got the boot after only 2 posts. If memory serves, he made some kind of personal attack on Ron.
    Anyway, it's obviously impossible for those that run the forum to know what someone is going to be like at the time they are registering, so there is probably no solution.
    However, that being said, though we may have to wade through some "bad seeds," I think it's worth it to get to know some of the really great people here, yourself included, Nick. [​IMG]

3. PatrickM

PatrickM Screenwriter

Rain,

Unfortunately for you, it seems you attract some of these not so intelligent posters. The most recent being that dude in the Nude Scene poll. He eventually took a shot at us Asians too.

Its too bad that some of these people just don't get the purpose of this forum. Hopefully the mission statement will be up soon.

Patrick

4. Henry Gale

Henry Gale Producer

5. Kurt B

Kurt B Stunt Coordinator

6. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

Rain's pic always makes me remember to trim my nose hair [​IMG]

7. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

8. Janna S

Janna S Second Unit

I'll bet that member continues to act up and gets booted, and when it happens I will cheer. It's one of the few threads I've seen that I wish would just be deleted. Even the upbeat and lighthearted posts from good folks couldn't overcome all the ugliness in that thread.

9. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

I've been here longer than anyone who's posted in this thread so far (my start date got blown out in a software upgrade from several years ago, but it was sometime in early '98). HTF has always had its share of people who can't conduct a civilized conversation. If anything, I'd say things are better today, because the moderators have become more vigilant since HTF really started to grow. Forum policies have become somewhat more refined as well; the early days were much more of a free-for-all.

M.

10. PatrickM

PatrickM Screenwriter

Its good to hear things are better. Its pretty rare when I've seen something so blatant. I didn't see the thread where Rain was attacked but I did hear about it second hand in another thread and thought it was a joke. I couldn't believe it. We do sometimes get on our high horses about SACD vs. DVD-A or separates vs. receivers but its usually a good repartee not a personal attack.

This last one made my jaw drop when I first read it and everyone posting was online so I jumped in. I even took his bait and offered up my nationality to see what he would say. Too bad the 0.00000001% of the membership who are unthoughtful can ruin a thread.

Patrick

11. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    Members,
    You see threads in which somebody is being attacked then report that thread to a moderator and it will be taken care of.
    Crawdaddy

12. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    Let me echo Robert Crawford's comments.

If anyone is disrupting this forum, please

send the Moderator of that area an email.

Do not -- and I mean DO NOT confront that

individual. If you place yourself in a hostile

situation you will be removed from the forum as

well.

Let the individual make an a-hole out of themelves

on their own and I promise that person will be

banned forever.

This forum will continue to be a place where all

of you can meet without worrying about problem

members.

13. Paul_D

Paul_D Cinematographer

Nick, thats so weird, cos I logged on today with the intention of starting a thread about this very same subject, albeit with a slightly different thread title. Although the presence of new, hostile members, is something that I had definately noticed recently, more generally, there seem to be a HUGE number of new members in the last month or so. Have the HFT been advertising? Are there any statistics available on new memberships per month, or explanations as to why there might be a huge increase in new memberships to the forum?
    Also, I read the 'Nude scene' thread thats mentioned above, and although someone else beat me to it, I just wanted to give out some admiration for the REMARKABLE level of restraint on display. There were some incredibly ignorant, offensive comments, and you all kept your cool 100%. [​IMG]

14. Henry Gale

Henry Gale Producer

15. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
    Michael:

I have given you a sign up date of February 12th, 1998. How is does that work for you?

Parker

16. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

That's fine, Parker. I've never paid much attention to my start date; in fact, this is probably the most attention I've paid to it in a long time.
    I just looked in an old email archive and found a chat announcement from you and Ron dated May 8, 1998. The opening sentence was (emphasis mine):

17. PatrickM

PatrickM Screenwriter

I should also note that Ron closed the thread very shortly after I reported it. I believe the owners and moderators are doing a great job keeping this forum a fun place to interact. The amount of knowledge I've taken away from here is unbelievable and would have taken me many years to learn otherwise. Without this place I could have bought Bose, Ugggh! [​IMG]
    Patrick

18. Rain

Rain Producer

If I may offer a suggestion:

Don't let this kind of stuff hurt you or make you mad. When that happens, you are only giving the instigator their desired satisfaction.

Personally, I just laugh at it, because I think it's stupid.

And please heed Ron's advice. I know it is sometimes tempting to tell these kinds of people off, but in doing so you are only going to get yourself in trouble. I'd hate to see any of you fine folks booted...and I would feel even worse if it was because you were defending me.

Peace!

19. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So

20. Luis A

Luis A Second Unit

I do not know what thread(s) you guys are talking about, but I'm glad I didn't get to read them. Stuff like that makes me sick to my stomach.
    BTW I agree with NickSo on the "Game console" theory.
    L