What's new

Is it just me or is The Shawshank Redemption one of the most perfect movies around... (1 Viewer)

Jason Merrick

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason Merrick
Since I am most definitely not a well-spoken critic, I will simply say I couldn't agree with you more! What a great movie!
------------------
sig.jpg

Gilbert Galindo

Stunt Coordinator
The movie is good and gets better with repeated viewings. I'll go on a limb here and say I thought The Green Mile was better. Not by much, but still better. I would still give them both **** stars though. And to all those people that say Shawshank should have won Best Picture in 1994, sorry, but that should have gone to Pulp Fiction.

Scott W.

Second Unit
Frank Darabont directed a real jem in Shawshank. It's one of the only DVD's I have which I gave repeated viewings to (because I'm constantly buying and viewing new flicks). Yes, it is one of the most perfect movies around IMO.
Scott

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
My vote goes for Shawshank over the Green Mile as well.
Shawshank was nicely done. The ending bookend segment from the Green Mile changed the tone of the story and gave it a downer ending that was not needed.
------------------
Every man is my superior, in that I may learn from him.
MyHTSetup
[Edited last by Lou Sytsma on October 16, 2001 at 09:57 AM]

Kami

Screenwriter
I love the movie, and I agree with Gilbert that it gets better with repeated viewings...one of the few movies to do so.
Green Mile was great, but Shawshank was still better IMO.

Gerard Priori

Stunt Coordinator
Since you asked for opinions, I'll venture mine. Obviously, from the other replies you've received so far, you aren't alone in your admiration of the film. But I have no idea what anyone sees in this film. Words cannot express how much I HATE this film. When I watch SHAWSHANK (I've seen it twice), I see nothing but cheap sentiment and cartoon villains; I feel like I'm the one serving the life sentence as each agonizing minute passes. I find nothing interesting or compelling about anything that happens on screen. I truly am puzzled by why the film is so well regarded. I know that there are others who share my distain for the movie, but around this forum, mine is certainly a minority opinion. But you did ask.
-Jerry

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Well, I like it. Granted, TSR is simplistic, but it's undeniably entertaining. I find it to be quite involving despite its two-plus hour running time.
------------------
He thought on homeland, the big timber, the air thin and chill all the year long. Tulip poplars so big through the trunk they put you in mind of locomotives set on end. He thought of getting home and building him a cabin on Cold Mountain so high that not a soul but the nighthawks passing across the clouds in autumn could hear his sad cry. Of living a life so quiet he would not need ears. And if Ada would go with him, there might be the hope, so far off in the distance he did not even really see it, that in time his despair might be honed off to a point so fine and thin that it would be nearly the same as vanishing.
-- Charles Frazier, Cold Mountain

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
This is a real gem of a movie with great writing and great performances down the line from Tim Robbins, Morgan Freeman, James Whitmore, et. al. The theme of hope comes out more clearly than in any other prison movie I have seen. This movie also has a great soundtrack, by Thomas Newman, I think.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
It's strange just how many posts about Shawshank are popping up suddenly after so many years of the movie being out but I agree, it is one of the 20 best movies of all time in my opinion. Very well made. Great acting etc.
------------------
Link Removed
15354t.jpg

------------------
My Favourite Movie

Nate Anderson

Screenwriter
Shawshank is perfectly crafted and is an excellent movie.
I also agree Shawshank is better than The Green Mile. Very, very well done.
------------------
"This is not a drill. This is the apocolypse!"
Link Removed

Michael*K

Screenwriter
I find that Shawshank stands up to repeated viewings. Never get tied of seeing this great film. Definitely in my top three.
Unfortunately, I cannot say the same for The Green Mile. I did like the film when I saw it, but it gets tiring after a second or third viewing.
------------------
--Mike
Amazon Hot 100 DVD's

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I too loved Shawshank, and think it a better movie than The Green Mile.
What's weird is that I think I liked the book The Green Mile better than Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption. But the movies are flip-flopped. Weird, maybe TGM just doesn't translate as well with all of its biblical allegories.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Carlo - I concur with you. I like the Shawshank movie better but I prefer the Green Mile book more.
Darabont was in a real groove with Shawshank and the changes he made for Shawshank were on the mark.
Unfortunately for the TGM he fumbled the ball a little and inadvertently lessened the impact of the movie because of it.
Examples
Spoiler:
not showing the last rites scenes for the prisoners, and in the ending bookend sequence not showing Mr. Jingles passing on and giving Tom Hank's character the knowledge that he too will pass on eventually.

IHMO, of course.
------------------
Every man is my superior, in that I may learn from him.
MyHTSetup

jane blinked

Auditioning
I have never managed to sit through that movie to the end. It lacked convincing sincerity even though the cast was excellent. I'm the only person I know that didn't think much of the film.
On the other hand, I enjoyed the Green Mile. It wasn't the best movie, it wasn't the best book, but it was definitely moving.

Brian_J

Second Unit
Perfect. And I mean absolutely perfect with no flaws and no changes that I could see making it better.
Brian
------------------
Zed's Dead Baby...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks