Is it just me, or has Gamespot pretty much lost all of its credibility?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JamesH, Oct 22, 2002.

1. JamesH

JamesH Supporting Actor

It seems like more and more lately, their reviews have gotten so ridiculously biased and unobjective that it's impossible to compare scores from one game to the next.
    I think they've started a policy of adding a point to PS2 scores, subtracting 1 point from GC scores, and subtracting 1.5 points from Xbox scores. The story is the same almost every time: multiplatform game comes out, Xbox version looks the best, Xbox version is scored the same or lower than the PS2 version. On one sports game, they even had the audacity to write the same review for the PS2 and Xbox versions with a paragraph mentioning that the Xbox ver. looked the best, yet they scored the Xbox version lower.
    They also seem to be coming up with graphics scores on a whim. Anyone can see that Blinx looks quite a bit better than Mario, yet Mario got a significantly higher graphics score. Same story with TJ&E 3, they actually scored Ty the Tasmanian Tiger significantly higher in graphics.
    I really don't understand their system at all.
    Tony Hawk 3 - 10.0
    GTA3- 9.X
    State of Emergency - 8.5
    Mario Sunshine - 8.0
    Toe Jam and Earl 3 - 5.0
    Tony Hawk gets a perfect score, yet they say GTA3 is a better game deserving of GOTY, State of Emergency is better than Mario Sunshine, and TJ&E is absolute crap? Apparantly someone doesn't understand the concept of funk.

2. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

The thing is, sometimes people agree with them. It's not every reviewer reviewing each game, it's only one, so it reflects that person's point of view(s).

I think Mario should have gotten higher, but if you judge the game by the extremely high standards that most people had for it, then I can understand giving it a lower than perfect score.

Though SoE still boggles the mind.

And I think Toe Jam and Earl has been getting relatively bad reviews. I read a low score somewhere else as well.

And if a game has excellent graphics on the PS2, those are considered OK graphics on the X-Box or GameCube, so people are supposed to have higher standards for those two consoles because of the power they can produce.

3. JamesH

JamesH Supporting Actor

Now that I think about it, Gamespot has been playing favorites for a while. I can't even count the number of critically acclaimed Dreamcast games they scored too low.

4. Damien

Damien Supporting Actor

the tony hawk 3 review was very stupid of them, no way it deserved that.
    the reason multiplatform games score lower on xbox is because it has more potential than ps2. sound should be made into dolby digital and compare to the benchmarks like halo and jsrf...on ps2 the sound quality bar is lower since dd isn't possible during gameplay 99% of the time. it IS stupid when the xbox version(like myst), gets a lower tilt from the same reviewer, that kind of pisses me off. and i agree the scores can be misleading as well, but you have to assume most people who browse that site frequently are smart enough to know the xbox version is usually the best.

on gta3 it deserved ny praise it got, GREAT game
    the play time i had with sms, i would give it less than an 8, just because it didn't evolve the series enough from a 7 year old game, and spraying the graffitti and getting those coins wasn't my thing. state of emergency was grossly overrated in graphics, and also the overall score was inflated. triple play had this problem,

by the way gamespot has been strict with xbox lately, but they have given xbox games high scores before.
    and you have to realize they are human...now mario getting a 9 in graphics is definetely too high....and i haven't had any time with blinx to compare. but reviewers are DIFFERENT humans, meaning they don't have time to sit there and see that different console exclusives match eachother and make sense, way too time consuming and mechanical.

but the thing is, gamespot has been very good as of late in how there reviews are written and scired, just horrible with timeliness...ign will get you reviews up on time, but you will get some badly written reviews like myst's 3 and other reviews that just plain overrate games(my problem with that site)

5. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

You know, most of the games I'm still playing 2 years after I bought them scored 7.5 or less on Gamespot.

I trust their previews for actual opinions

6. Andy Sheets

Andy Sheets Cinematographer

I think it's easier to note who the reviewers in various cases actually are, and then you can judge how valuable the opinion is. It's not like Gamespot or IGN or any other site is some Borg-like entity in which every person there has the same inclinations for rating games [​IMG] For example, at Gamespot I've learned to completely ignore anything Giancarlo Varanini (sp?) has to say about any game. He just has crap taste, period. Greg Kasavin certainly landed on my "ignore" list with that Blinx review he gave. Maybe his opinion on strategic PC games is still reasonable but not with console platformers. Too bad Joe Fielder doesn't work at GS anymore. I always thought he was a pretty good reviewer.

7. BrianB

BrianB Producer

8. DonRoeber

DonRoeber Screenwriter

I don't understand why they're rating games on what the system could potentially produce. If the GameCube, PS2 and X-Box versions of a title are exactly the same on each platform, down to the controls and graphics output, then it should be a uniform score across the board. Say we were reviewing the origional arcade pacman on each system. The game we were reviewing was 100% identical to the old arcade, with no extra bells or whistles. Then, in my opinion, it should have the same score everywhere. For games that actually have differences, such as the X-Box's version of Spider-Man having an extra set of levels, that extra should be weighted into the score, but I don't see any reason to take away points because it only looks as good as the PS2 version, despite the potential to look better because the hardware is theoretically capable of it.

Just seems strange to rank things on a "what they could have been" scale.

9. Jean-Michel

Jean-Michel Supporting Actor

10. Dean Cooper

Dean Cooper Supporting Actor

I rarely ever put any value in a game review on a website or magazine. Actually, I don't usually read movie reviews either because most of the time that I do see one I don't agree with it anyway. This forum has become a very good spot to check for games I'm not sure about. Sharing our opinions on this site is like talking to a group of friends. I know the people here that like what I like so I pay close attention to what people here have to say about a game and leave Gamespot, IGN..ect for the birds to pick over their lame-ass reviews.

Dean

11. Andy Sheets

Andy Sheets Cinematographer

12. Dave Falasco

Dave Falasco Screenwriter

I can't say I'm thrilled about it, but the way Gamespot hands out their scores does seem to be a fair way to do it. Let's take Tony Hawk 3, for example. If they give this game a perfect 10 for graphics on the PS2, and the Xbox version looks better, what do they score the Xbox version? Comparing graphical scores between the PS2 and the Xbox is almost always going to result in the PS2 getting a lower score. That means that the "perfect" PS2 game will never score as highly as the "perfect" Xbox game, which really isn't fair to PS2 owners. If a game truly is the pinnacle of what a console can achieve, then the score should be able to reflect that and not be bound by what another console can achieve.

Hey, most of you know I'm an Xbox fan and I'd love to see PS2 scores all come in lower than their Xbox counterparts. But what happens when that Xbox game gets ported to a high-powered PC? As good as an Xbox game can look, surely a super-powered PC can make the game look better? So if THAT now becomes the graphical standard, then all the other versions have to be marked down accordingly.

So I think it's valid that a game be judged based on its peers, meaning other games for that console. Now, do I believe that Gamespot carefully considers all the other games for that console when determining a graphical score for all three versions? No, I think they are being lazy when they give the same graphical score to all three versions. I think they play the PS2 version, rate the graphics based on PS2 standards, look at the Xbox graphics, and if they are a little better, they give it the same score. Lazy, but they do have deadlines. Just another reason not to trust only reviews when making your purchasing decision.

13. JamesH

JamesH Supporting Actor

Have you actually read the review? Instead of offering up valid gameplay criticisims, he spends most of the time bitching about the concept and subject matter. I want to know how the game plays , not if it's "cool" or not.

14. Dave Falasco

15. Joseph Young

Joseph Young Screenwriter

The most recent example of a markedly higher score handed out to the PS2 version (and the lower scores assigned to the GCN and Xbox versions) was completely justified.
    Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit 2 is a different game on the PS2. The GNC and Xbox versions were developed by a different party, ommit several gameplay mechanics, and have a different awards system. Plus the graphics weren't optimized on either the GNV or Xbox, and for whatever reason, the game looks and runs better on PS2. I have seen all three versions, and, Gamespot is right. The PS2 wins hands down.
    I doubt that the reviewers at Gamespot want to see the Xbox fail. The fact is, there have been high expectations for the system from day 1, and let's face it, there have been no widely agreed upon 'system greats' except for Halo -- so far there have only been fanboy favorites.
    [rant] (braces for impact) [/rant]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] be kind
    ~joseph

16. JamesH

JamesH Supporting Actor

You don't see any logical flaws with comparing games between a $200 console and a $200 console as opposed to comparing between 3 similarly priced consoles?

PCs and consoles aren't even really in competition with each other, and it's even tougher to compare them when you consider that a game is going to look different on each individual computer.

17. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

18. Dave Falasco

19. Jeff_Standley

Jeff_Standley Supporting Actor

Gamespot is really pissing me off lately to. They have alot of games without reviews out right now and some of These games have been out for a while now to. L.O.T.R. fellowship XBOX, NHL 2003 XBOX, just to name a couple. These are big releases to. No codes for several games and there are codes for them, Dead to rights, Robotech battlecry, and many others I cant think of right now. Whats the deal gamespot.

And P.S. State of emergency sucked unbelievabley bad. and mario sunshine is awesome. (8.5, ...yeah right)

20. JamesH

JamesH Supporting Actor

Just to add fuel to the fire, check out their latest round of reviews to see how far they are out of touch with the majority of gamers.

Readers Gamespot
    House of the Dead 8.2 6.4
    Tony Hawk 7.3 9.5
    Contra 8.9 7.6

Note to Gamespot: people are sick of the same Tony Hawk every year.