What's new

Is it just me, or do the Super Mario Brothers kick major ass! (1 Viewer)

Paul_D

Senior HTF Member
I pulled out the old SNES last week. I thought I'd waste an hour or two as Zelda or Mario. I only kept the console so that I could replay Zelda: Link to the Past (easily one of the best games ever made by the way), but on that day, Super Mario Allstars caught my eye. I'd truly forgotten how aweomse the games in that collection are. Particularly, 2, 3 and World are still HIGHLY playable today. They are so brilliantly funny and entertaining. Bowser is perfectly menacing, and the music is quirky and catchy. These guys will live forever. :emoji_thumbsup:
Now, if only someone could remove the image of Bob Hoskins in red dungarees from my mind. :angry:

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
Anything with brothers is cool, the Marios are no exception. And what was Shiggy on when he made SM2??? Still the weirdest and coolest of the series I think, especially for its time.

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
I wish they'd put out a mario collection of the super mario bros games on disc for gamecube. Even though I bought mario allstars i would by a compilation disc also.

Andre F

Screenwriter
I can't wait for Super Mario Sunshine! Finally my 'Cube will get a workout!
-Andre F

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
I think I remember reading somewhere that for SMB2 Nintendo just took an existing Japanese game and replaced the existing characters with the Mario crew. So Shiggy didn't have a whole lot to do with it. I'll try and dig up a link for anyone interested.

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
It was an existing game (Doki Doki panic for those interested). You can find the Rom out there if you want to see what it looked like.

Marshall Alsup

Second Unit
Hell yeah!!!!
Mario Game's rule! I've never played Luigi's Mansion but all the others are quite awesome and I really enjoy playing them.

-Marshall

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
Super Mario World is just to AWESOME for words. As good as the game was I remember being in utter awe at Yoshi's Island. Got that was a ridiculously fun and infinitely playable game!

Jason Borchers

Second Unit
I'm a huge Mario fan. I just finished Super Mario 64 two nights ago for the first time ever. I also played through All-Stars again about a month ago, and before that, the GBA version of Super Mario World (even though I've already played the SNES original countless times). Now I'm playing Yoshi's Island, also for the first time. (I stopped playing video games from about '94 through '99 and am trying to catch up on everything I missed!) Can't wait for Super Mario Sunshine.

Super Mario Bros./Duck Hunt was my first video game ever; how could I not love Mario?

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I, too, have loved Mario games for as long as I can remember. We used to have Mario 1, 2, 3, World, and 64, but something happened to 2 and 3 and now they're missing, plus my battery in World died. My friend has Yoshi's Island and she loves it (yes, its a SHE!). I can't wait until the GBA version comes out, along with the GBA of Link to the Past.

Kami

Screenwriter
Super Mario Bros. 3 for NES is quite possibly one of the greatest games of all time. :) Main reason I kept my NES around.

Mark Evans

Supporting Actor
Yoshi's Island is, bar none, my favorite platform game of all time. Even with it's not-quite-intuitive control scheme, once you get the hang of it, it's awesome.
I remember being floored by the boss battle at the end, which was just mammoth for its time. Least for me ;).
And it was the best use of the SNES technology ever. I still remember the swearing I used to do when Yoshi got tripping on those puffballs... :D

BertFalasco

Supporting Actor
I love SMB.. Just wish someone would make a sequel to SMB The Movie damnit, but not something long awaited like JP3 and have it lick donkey balls..IMO

-Bert

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
Is anyone else a little worried about what they're hearing about Mario Sunshine though? Cleaning up pollution-come on... Hopefully the gameplay will be good though, but since when have Mario games needed a "purpose"? Quit the environmentalist crap, and get back to the thinly veiled drug references...

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
Cleaning up pollution-come on... Hopefully the gameplay will be good though, but since when have Mario games needed a "purpose"? Quit the environmentalist crap, and get back to the thinly veiled drug references...
Ughhh...i hope its not some goodie goodie environmental gaia mother earth crap. Final Fantasy annoys me enough with that garbage...don't let mario be taken by it!

Camp

Senior HTF Member
Yoshi's Island is, bar none, my favorite platform game of all time. Even with it's not-quite-intuitive control scheme, once you get the hang of it, it's awesome.
Oh my god!! Someone other than me thinks this is the greatest platformer ever!!

Far too many people missed out on Yoshi's Island due to the extremely kiddie look. Get beyond that and it's just fantastic. If I had to knock it in any way I'd say it's a bit too easy and short but it's great fun while it lasts. The most creative bosses I've ever seen and the control is perfect.

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
I never had the patience to play, let alone finish any mario game... :b
Anyways, sonic could take on both mario brothers any day! :D

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
Mario rules! SMB 3 is still the best of the series, but Yoshi's Island is not far behind, and next to no one has ever played it! Hopefully the upcoming GBA version will let more people play it. These games are a testament to the geniuses at Nintendo. They may get knocked a lot for making kiddie games, but playability and fun are more important than subject matter to me, and Nintendo delivers on that in spades.

Hell, I still stand by my claim that SNES is still the greatest system out there. Here is a short list f reasons why:
Super Mario World
Yoshi's Island
Super Mario All Stars
Super Mario Kart
Super Metroid
Zelda:link to the past
Final Fantasy II and III(you know, the good ones)
Mega Man X 1-3
Magical Quest starring micky mouse
Kirby's Avalanche
Yoshis Cookie
Tetris/Dr Mario(what can I say, i love a good puzzle game)
Tetris Attack
Chrono Trigger
Contra 4
Super R-Type
Pilotwings
F-Zero
Castlevania 4
Final Fight
Street Fighter 2 Turbo(still the greatest version out there)
Mortal Kombat II
TMNT IV(arcade perfect translation)
Super Bomberman 2(greatest party game ever!)
Super-Game Boy(technically this shouldnt count, but it does allow your SNES to play Game Boy games, which makes the list even longer!)
Actraiser I and II
Illusion of Gaia
Secret of Mana
Donkey Kong Country
Killer Instinct
Ninja gaiden trilogy
Super Punch Out

The list goes on and on. No other system has a list of great games and TRUE classics like the SNES. The top few on this list are still considered by many to be the greatest games ever!

And whoever thought Yoshi's Island was easy...did you ever get 100% on EVERYTHING? If you did, congratulations, you are the man.

And Sonic was a good game, but it was all speed. The Mario games always innovated and made other games look bad.

Bring on Mario Sunshine!

Graeme Clark

Senior HTF Member
I love Mario and I'm itching for Sunshine.

I think World is my favorite. When I got the SNES for Christmas 91, I had finished SMW in about 24 hours, and had all the levels completed in about 4 days if I recall.

SMB3 is still amazing that they did that on the NES. The graphics are still pretty impressive and the game is huge!

I only played Yoshi's Island for a little bit when it first came out. I should hunt that down and give it another shot.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
They may get knocked a lot for making kiddie games, but playability and fun are more important than subject matter to me, and Nintendo delivers on that in spades
Agreed.

Sean-
I wholeheartedly agree with your list.

All this Yoshi's Island talk is making me want a copy of the game. Should I borrow my friend's copy, buy it at FuncoLand, download the ROM, or wait until it comes out for GBA?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks