What's new

Is it just me, or are trailers included less on DVDs nowadays? (1 Viewer)

John Kilduff

Screenwriter
As I've looked at DVDs released over the course of the format, I've noticed that a lot of studios don't bother including original theatrical trailers for the movies anymore. There are some studio exceptions (Lionsgate, Fox, and occasionally Universal will include the original trailers and smaller companies like Phase 4 and Magnolia often include trailers). Studios like Sony, Warner and Disney don't seem to bother anymore, though, and in Disney's case, they rarely did to begin with. They'll include trailers for various Disney products on DVDs and Blu-Rays, but not any trailers or promotional materials for the actual feature on the disc.

I'm just wondering why promotional material like trailers are so rarely included nowadays. Is it because of music licensing issues, or because DVD as a format is no longer viable for bonus material? It's just something I've been thinking about, since I like movie trailers. I enjoy seeing how films, especially older ones, are promoted.

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

I know that Disney includes original trailers on the Blu-Ray releases of their animated classics, but it's usually the pre-Pixar stuff.

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
I think there is an actual separate thread on this (and fewer extras in general on DVD/Bluray).

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
I don't know if this is a conscious decision by the studios or not, but I would suspect it is. They seem to be preparing the way for the streaming paradigm above all else, the feature movie available for a limited time at their discretion and that's it.

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Professor Echo said:
I don't know if this is a conscious decision by the studios or not, but I would suspect it is. They seem to be preparing the way for the streaming paradigm above all else, the feature movie available for a limited time at their discretion and that's it.
This is why I am trying to build up my DVD/Bluray physical media library as large as I can afford

Afiger

Agent
Real Name
Daniel
I've noticed it a lot lately too. When I was a kid I used to dream about the day when there wasn't a thousand commercials before my favorite cartoon, However, now that I'm old and have to work I've sort of found that new DVDs are the only way I catch a glimpse of new movies. Sad day.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks