What's new

Is it just me or are there not any new THX certified receivers? (1 Viewer)

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Amplifiers are one thing, but the priorities for THX speakers, if there really is much of a standard anymore, has never been the same as my priorities for speakers. THX puts a high priority on efficiency... over things like imaging and unmeasurable aspects of sound quality that are a priority to me. I can get a more powerful amplifier to overcome the lower efficiency, but the only way to get the sound quality I want from speakers, is with speakers that provide it.

greggor

Second Unit
Real Name
Greg
I really love my Paradigm Studio reference speakers. They're Version 2 and I've had them for almost 20 years. They aren't THX certified of course but they've been well cared for and sound amazing. I'm still wondering if they are broken in yet...:)

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
THX meant well but there where a number of amplifiers that surpassed THX requirements but never got the badge because the companies did not feel the need. Also Kenwood had the sovereign amplifier and IMHO it is questionable if that actually did meet the requirements and if so maybe just barely. IMHO unless you get your room and everything THX rated and designed there is no point to it and even then while the idea was good in practice it doesn't guarantee your home theater will be better. My Marantz SR-8012 doesn't have a THX badge on it but in my honest opinion it blows the Pioneer SC-05 out of the water and the Elite SC-05 is Ultra THX2 certified. The Marantz SR-8012 has great specifications and has been on a test bench and performed very well. So take it for what it is worth but the THX rating is not everything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks