Is it just me or are new releases getting more expensive?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Jon Mercer, Aug 4, 2003.

1. Jon Mercer

Jon Mercer Second Unit

Jan 24, 2001
    I know alot of you guys are former LD collectors and don't argue about the price but lately I've seemed to notice an upwards trend of price increases - such as Shanghai Knights and Daredevil $26 bucks each before taxes.
    All you Americans can laugh at this because I know that you guys get them for much better prices than us canucks.
    Is this caused by more added features or market saturation and knowing that people will pay the price?
    If anyone can give me a Canadian site/retailer that will result in a cheaper price AFTER shipping and taxes please let me know - I usually do my shopping on release day at Future Shop but with the last three months of this year I'm going to need a second job[​IMG] - and really I don't buy all that much to begin with.

2. Louis_P

Louis_P Stunt Coordinator

Nov 18, 2002
    For new releases I wait 4-6 weeks before Blockbuster puts them for sale and you can pick them up at a lower price.Here in Montreal they have a buy 1 dvd and get the 2nd half price.Blockbuster also carry widescreen releases too now.So I say wait a few weeks and buy them used from them,they have plenty in stock...
  3. Seems like some of the recent releases haven't been expected to be all out blockbusters and retailers are setting their margins accordingly.

Nothing like when Episode 2 hit for $10 during week one for example...

Phonebooth and DareDevil just don't draw the big numbers, I guess.

Last new release I bought was the recent Star Trek flick for $14.99 at Walmart, week one.

Dances with Wolves for $14.99 same week at Walmart too.

Since then, things have been pretty quite over there.

Held off on some the increasing number of pricey 2-disc catalog releases (Purple, Mission, Robin Hood) till I could find them used.

Seems like studios are using the second disc to shore-up the pricing on older movies, but if the extras are good then I doubt anyone will complain.

Was a bit surprise to see Robin Hood getting 2-disc $20 treatment, but there is that bit about robbing from the rich...never did watch the second disc.
  4. I did get 007 as well, for $14.99.

You're probably sensing a trend at this point, I won't pay more than $15 for anything.

If it isn't affordable week one, then I get it used later.

Of course, there's always a steady flow of reduced catalog tiles coming along.

Coconuts and Saturday Matinee are having a big sale on older Paramount titles for $9.99

I grabbed Wayne's World 1&2, Ferris, Election, and the Phantom.

Then theres always the $5 bin at Walmart...just got Last Action Hero.

I guess I'm saying, if new releases are getting too pricey, buy other stuff now and get the new ones later...
  5. Dave H

Dave H Producer

Aug 13, 2000
    Why not just wait for new releases to become an enrollment within three months and order from Columbia House for $7.00 a movie? Unless it's a title I just can't wait for, this is what I do now.
  6. Steve_Tk

Steve_Tk Cinematographer

Apr 30, 2002
    I live in Atlanta. I can't remember the last time I spent more than $15 on a new release. The week after they are released they always jump up to $20.
  7. Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott Lead Actor

Jul 19, 2002
    why wait the several months for them to be offered as enrollments? i use pre-orders for my fulfillments.
    Casablanca SE and Solaris and The Howling SE all averaged out to a little over $7 (w/ NYS extreme sales tax included).
    sure you have to wait a little longer, but i have so much stuff to catch up on already.